The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

no low end power

evoquon

Hi guys,

Hope you guys can help me with this problem. My 91vr4 seem to have no bottom end power at all. Not until the stock turbo kick in or the engine rev up around 3500 rpm. I only got a few mods, full 3 inch exhuast with no cat, k&n fill cone, hks bc, 18 inch motegi racing sp10 wheels. I am not sure if this is nornal, i just have really drove it that much since I got it. Now I want it to be my dd keeping the milage on my evo down. Thanks..

AnotherNewb

This is an easy one... Its got to be the 18" Motegi's... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif Got a boost gauge yet? Get one. Turbo lag sucks.

FYI: This and better grammar will net better responses, before someone elses reams you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ktmrider

+1 on the 18's sapping power.

What the guys are saying is that the bigger wheels will change the gear ratio of your car. The smaller the wheels the higher the gear ratio. If I put the stock wheels on my gvr4 it has alot more acceleration from a dig.

ktmrider

^^ And the fact that most Motegi 18" wheels weight 26-28 pounds vs the stock wagon wheels at 16 pounds.

Just an extra bit of both unsprung weight and rotational mass to deal with...

Last edited:

evoquon

Thanks for all the inputs, it got to be the wheels then, I will switch it back to the stock then. Thanks again..

AnotherNewb

Or.... You can make up for the wheels by throwing faster parts on it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

belize1334

I really doubt that the wheels would make a huge difference in drivability. I suspect that you're just not yet used to driving a car with a small engine that relies on the turbo to make useful power. Remember, that until the turbo starts making positive pressure you'll be lucky to break 100 ft-lb on a low-compression 2.0L engine. At 2500 rpm that means you're basically only getting 50 whp as you start up from a stop-sign. That's just how these motors work. If you want them to feel fast you've got to rev them up and get the turbo involved.

+1 on heavy wheels,

Also, if you're used to an evo MR, that explains a lot. Mitsubishi has learned a ton since the galant was new, and the everyday drive ability of the evo is leaps and bounds above that of the galant. Plus the evo is a bit lighter, and makes almost 50% more power than the galant (both being stock).

H05TYL

Check the base ignition timing, when I first got my 2nd vr4 it felt really weak off boost and a quick look at the cas showed why, it was fully retarded (possibly revealing something about the previous owner?) - I set the base timing properly and it transformed the car.

p.s. I doubt anyone has a butt dyno accurate enough to notice the difference made by a heavier set of wheels - of course if you change them you will "feel" the difference straight away - but in a blind test, doubtful.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned