The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

GVR4 running like crap and sounds like a subaru LOL!

kerry92gvr4

ok so a few weeks ago i just got done putting my car back to stock, that included swapping the ecu, injectors, exhaust manifolds, turbo, downpipe and exhaust, intercooler and piping, mass air flow sensor and i think that is it. Now since i did that it has ran good just not really boosting, i have been paying attention to the other post about the car not boosting but have not really heard anything that i think mine could be? but who knows? Anyway so it has not been boosting right.

So at first it wouldn't go above 10psi even with a mbc, so then someone said to just unhook the hose to the waste gate so i did that and it will only boost 10psi in 1st, 12 psi in 2nd , 15psi in third and then 16or 17 in 4th and 5th? but then today i was picking up the kids from daycare and it wouldn't boost past 4psi in any gear and then started bucking and hesitating really bad and like the title said it sounds like a damn subi. now i have had this problem before with an old gts corrola i had and it was an injector but for some reason i think there is more to what is going on with my car right now. please help

Terry Posten

Boost leak test.

kerry92gvr4

i am pretty good with cars, i have never done a boost leak test? how do i do that or do you have a link to a video or something showing how to?

kerry92gvr4

also i forgot to add that it did die on me at one point and it and when i restarted it it sounded like a car would when you try and start it with a bad timing belt? turned real fast and was wining? so i pulled my cover off and the belt is fine and nice and tight. it also is a gates racing timing belt so i dont think it has anything to do with that just wondering if that would help with figuring out the problem

Terry Posten

The easiest way to do a boost leak test that will test the whole system is to get a PVC coupler that has threads on one end. Thread a quick disconnect air chuck into the end and then use a silicon coupler that can clamp down on the turbo inlet.

Once you have the tester clamped to the inlet of the turbo, turn your air compressor regulator all the way down to zero and plug the hose on. Slowly raise the air pressure while watching your boost gauge. Once you get 5-10 psi into your system, start finding air leaks. It wont be hard. Make sure you open and close your throttle and listen for air leaking out the shaft seals also.

Here are some pics for reference. You just have to go to Home Depot, Lowe's, Menard's, or whatever you have around you and pick through the stock. Take an air chuck to match up the threads so you get the right thing. As you can see on my smaller one, I glued the threaded piece into a 2" pipe to get a little bit bigger outside diameter. On my bigger one, I bought a 2" clean-out coupler and filed off the threads to give me a 3" outside diameter tester.

As you can see, the main PVC part is the 1.5" x 1/2" Lasco sch 40 fitting. Lasco's PN is D2466. Then get a brass reducer that fits into the PVC and your air chuck will thread into. Then just build it up as needed or get to the size you can clamp onto a turbo or onto a pipe.

Pressure test the system. Sounds like the car is getting unmetered air, meaning air that enters the engine without going through the mas air flow meter first.

number3

They guys are right. I bet you have a loose clamp or split IC pipe.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts