The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

thought this would go along with the fuel eff. discussions

curtis

Now Just thought of this and had to go dig it up but video of a plasmatron hydrogen generator

As with all things cool opec and the government sweep it under the rug. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Anyway. Need to dig up more research but some how its releasing the fuel into a electric/magnetic field and the plasma separates the hydrocarbons. I suppose it does this during the time the engine is pulling a higher vacuum on a turbo car this would create problems. I read up on this years ago and that's as close as I ever got to it. Have a hydrogen generator out in the shop that Chris sent me and still haven't got to that either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

First saw an article on this in a magazine back in the mid 90's. The big 3 and the international companies have never jumped on board because they don't want there Opec buddies to go under. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif They use to have a Ford 302 video on the site that had 4 two barrels and spun it to like 15K rpms and made 1000 hp. If I had the money I'd have one of there heads on my 4G63. Years ago I read the retrofit for a push rod V8 was like 8 grand. I bet if someone showed up to the shootout with one they would be asked to leave. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devil.gif

spherical valve engine

But as with everything there's always someone thinking outside the box. The video below may leave you with a smile on your face. I really think they would be some hellafied tolerances and wear to consider but is just amazing to watch the video as the solid model is built and displays what has been dreamed up.

spherical engine

And you guys thought I just watched drag racing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

AnotherNewb

The spherical valve engine makes perfect sense. Removing all of that rotating/reciprocating mass would make an engine more efficient, and removing the valve train would eliminate the main reason for engine failure at high RPMs.

If you wanted to get on the subject of alternative and hydrogen powered cars, this is the one I look at the most:
Water Car

The only problem I have seen with it is no one has figured out how to produce enough hydroxy to power a car by with water by itself.

Here is an engine that would be extremely inexpensive to produce and maintain:

RADAX engine

Last edited:

ktmrider

Yep like you mentioned OPEC and the oil companies scoop up the patents REAL quick! They round-file them then repeat the process once the patent expires. Every once in awhile someone develops a product for something other than money ( but not often sad face ).
Have a co-worker that rigged a mini hydro-generator ( electrolosis sytle ) to his 02 Firebird 5.7L, in town MPG was slightly increased however he swears by 35+mpg on the highway. This in the sweltering PHX weather too.
Thanks for the links Curtis, I love the techno-geek info!

Last edited:

That reminds me of this I heard about awhile ago. Sorry if repost.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MBYg1NPzMY

4thStroke

ktmrider, my grandpa also swears that his some of his vehicles have seen major MPG improvements with the hydro-generator while others only saw a minor improvement.

AnotherNewb

The real problem with the hydro-generator, or SMACK booster is the current draw. In theory you could run a car entirely on a smack booster, but you would need a charging system capable of a bazillion amps. I have a few friends running smack boosters and the problem they run into is that adding hydroxy changes stoich. So the O2 sensors read lean, the ecu adds fuel to compensate then you loose the desired effect. The other problem is that if you have the car tuned to run with the smack booster, when you go to start it in the morning it takes 10min to build enough hydroxy to get the thing to start. I knew someone running one on an old Chevy dump truck. It got 20mi to the gallon unloaded compared to the 14 it was getting, but it was a pain in the ass to start read:lots of peddle play to keep it running until the booster built up enough volume.

What would be tits, is if someone can figure out how to split the water at the injector so there was no tubing to fill with gas. There was a video I saw a while back, but I can't find now that showed a guy holding a test tube of water into an electro magnetic field, or maybe it was radar, and the energy excited the water so much that he was able to light the expelled vapor and the flame was able to sustain itself. For as fast as hydrogen burns it was pretty amazing

curtis

Video or it didn't happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for the hydrogen generators Chris has had one on his honda and ended up having to tune with an amp gauge because as the concentration changed so did the current draw.

Weren't a lot of the guys working on solving the amperage issue by tuning the frequency of the voltage to the resonant frequency of the cavity, so it required much less amperage and voltage to get a lot more hydroxy production? That was years ago, and I would have thought someone would have perfected it by now. I guess gas has been too cheap.
As someone said though, without extra electronics hydroxy doesn't work very well on cars like ours with O2 sensors and a closedloop fuel system. The ECU just adds more fuel to compensate for what it sees as a lean AFR. If I still had #880 with the leanburn setup I installed, I would try hydroxy. The leanburn feature ignored the O2 voltage when activated, so the ECU would just use the last good fueltrim reading.

AnotherNewb

Quoting curtis:
Video or it didn't happen. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I looked and looked, can't find it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif The oil company must have pulled it from youtube. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for the frequency thing, Pulse width modulation has been used to conserver power with an hho cell. When I was playing with these, I just used sodium hydroxide to adjust the amp draw, but yes you do have to adjust it with water consumption.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned