The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Diagnosis...Idle?

Hittman

Yet another idle thread!

click

it started about 4-5 days ago...the weather has been increasingly hotter here. In this vid the accelerator is NOT engaged, clutch is out, and I am in nuetral.

I was thinking IAC or butterfly valves? but since my idle isn't going crazy I thought that it could be something different? It happens sporatically, and it actually effected my driving for the past 2 days, the car has been bogging ALOT. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif Any help is appreciated.

Please advise!

Thanks

stevep

Without sound it's hard to say but it looks like idle surging.
The first thing is to make sure the ISC is good by measuring the coils resistance and try following the FSM procedures for setting the BISS.

Hittman

Update on this problem...I have been studying the symptoms for about two weeks now, havent had the chance to perform the BISS procedures, but will hopefully do that this weekend.

When the car is parked on an incline (sloping upwards, rear of car sloping down) the idle is fine.

When the humidity level (combined with the heat) is > 88 degrees, the idle acts up.

When it is colder than 88 degrees, (or the humidity level is low) the car runs fine.

The thing about the slope is what confuses me, I'm not sure why that would make a diffrence in my idle, but I plan to figure it out.

AnotherNewb

Check your coolant temp sensor. Just guessing since it runs better when its cold out i.e. closer to what the sensor is reading.

evoquon

I had the same idle surge also, but I found what the problem was. I took all of the intake and some of the vacuum lines out so I can clean the intake hose, the upper ic pipe and replaced my tranny shifting rubber bushing. When I put it all back I forgot to connect the recirculating hose for the bov back to the intake. It didn't cause any problem right away untill a couple of days later when I noticed the driveability problem. But after I connected the hose back on it drove great. This might not be your problem, but just check all your hose and makes sure you don't have vacuum leak and other hose come off.

Hittman

I sent my TB into Steve @ throttlebodys.com, and it seems to have fixed the idle surge!...for now

OMFGeofffff

I got mine from autozone. Comes with a year warranty. I'm not really sure what you have available in AU though.

I wAs also having some idl issues. Check that your closed throttle position switch Is making contact with the pin. I squeezed mine gently with some needle nose. I also cleaned my tps connectors with some sandpaper and put a very light amount of dielectric grease on the tip of each pin. I wrapped sandpaper around the tip of a small screwdriver to be able to get to the pins and scrub them clean.

Hittman

Everything seemed to be working, except now after the car has warmed up, it cannot hold idle and shuts off. Is this a BISS related issue?

AnotherNewb

Do you have any way to log? Still sounds like a coolant temp sensor to me.

Hittman

I changed out the coolant temp sensor on the underside of the thermostat housing, but this didn't solve the problem. Would this mean another component of the thermostat housing is bad (i.e. another sensor, thermostat etc.)? I dont have a way to log at the moment, I am going to try and find someone in my area that can.

GSX_TC

Well I have two problems, 1: my idle surges, 2: sometimes it just dies after it's been sitting for over 3 mins. I know my ISC is bad but I thought rotating that fiav valve shut would help a bit, but seems like it didn't do anything. I got an ISC on the way so hopefully thatll fix my 2 problems.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts