The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Broken U-Joint Snap Ring

Muskrat

Anyone ever have to remove a U-Joint snap ring that broke? Went to do my drivehsaft rebuild today, and the damn things were rusted on pretty good. Managed to get the yoke off, and 3 at the rear hub, but the 4th broke on me. (the other's on the center joint are pretty stuck, need more pb blaster before I tackle them again.)

Any way. How should I go about removing this snap ring? I might just take it to a shop, or say screw it on the whole rebuild and just buy an aluminum d/s from these guys, if I can get them to do a vR-4 shaft for about the same price as an eclipse ($800).

I can post a picture if needed.

TylerAdamson

Last I heard they had a failure in a DSM shaft and stopped producing to investigate the failure. If they are back into production then that's the route I'd go.

Muskrat

I heard the failure was the typical yoke spline twist from using the stock yoke. DSS has the same failures.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Since you have the ring off the other side of that cross, one of the best ways to deal with this is to drive the u-joint cup away from the broken ring to relieve the tension and increase your access.

Once you have a little space on the backside, you can stick a pin punch thru the opening and gently tap the side of the punch. Try and spin the ring, or failing that, drive it towards the center.

Good luck!

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned