The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

500-600hp engine set up and rwd

I am going to build a Galant vr4 rwd track / drift car, and then i have some questions.

Is it a conversion kit to rwd that i can buy ? Or do i have to make it my self ? how mutch does the original drivetrain hold to ? What whould i need here?

And what do you recommend for a setup on the engine between, 500hp and 600hp.
I was thinking about:

DTA S60 Engine management system
wiseco pistons or je pistons,
crower rods,
crower 280 cams,
crower retainers and springs,
arp head studs and main bolts,
cometic mls head gasket,
acl race bearings for rods and crank,
new fuel rail with 1000cc injectors
Fuel cell with two Walbro 255 pump's
ACT STREETLITE FLYWHEEL
Magnus intake manifold
Exhaust manifold with t3 flage
Garrett GT35r Turbo
3" exhaust system with one muffler

Sorry for my bad english :p

Last edited by a moderator:

charmcity

Oh god here we go /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif!!!!! Where are wolves with this baby sheep with a broken leg????

The first thing you will be told is use the search function( it's alittle bit of work but it helps)
next there going to tell you your goals are lofty( which they are) after that you will get upset and tell the guys who have built proven cars that there advice is stupid and not helpful, in return they will pic you apart like fresh gizzel kill in the sahara desert and there some hungry ass lions.

So let me be the first to say use the search function it helps.
After that check out he member showcase area you can see what kind of set up the OG's are running, after that check out some DSM Sites because there are a couple rwd versions out there.

Sorry for the rant just want to save you a sure headache.
Buschur sells a RWD kit just to get you started. Good luck and welcome.

If people dont have better things to say then i was wrong about this forum.

The thing i realy wounder about is how mutch the original gearbox, centerdiff and the rear diff can hold. I have read many many post's and seen many dsm site's. I just want someone with some experiense! Not some people that watch forum's 24/7

Barnes

Here is the truth: If you really want a rear wheel drive car, buy a rear wheel drive car. I'm not trying to be mean, but that is just the truth. Taking the AWD out of the Galant VR-4 is essentially takes away the point of the Galant VR-4. You could probably make the horsepower you want with those mods. However, unless you do radical drive train modifications, there is no way you could make that much power without breaking things in the drive train. You would need to convert the car to a RWD using a non-factory transmission and rear end. You could not use any of the factory components unless you were content with breaking them all the time.

BoostedAWD91

There is a lot of the same questions asked over and over again cause people don't search before they post that's why your gonna get that kind of response to a general question. If you search around you'll find what your looking for. Welcome to the board though

I have made a rwd Galant but i dont have more than 200hp in it, but that works fine. In that one i took out the Viscous coupling and cut it up in bits, and welded it to a solid connection. Then i removed the front drive shaft's.

But now it when i am going to have mutch hp i know i have to do something else. Are there any other gears to the rear differential that are stronger ?

To convert the car to RWD is very easy. You simply need to have a welded center diff, and just plug the holes for the front drive shafts. You could just weld the holes shut and you would be good.

As far as making 600hp on the stock transfer case and driveshaft, the shaft should be good the transfer case is hit and miss. Just keep a few extra ones on hand and you will be good.

The big thing is yes you will break driveline parts, that is the nature of the beast. Theses parts were never designed for 600hp.

turbowop

You must not have noticed, but you're now the only one with pics of your car in your sig. You aren't the only one on the 'net that knows how to post pics, so that isn't why the rest of us don't have them. Nobody cares to see your car everytime you post. Plz remove the clutter. Thx.

curtis

I removed the clutter.

Last edited:

charmcity

CAll me now for your free reading.....Anyone else want there future told?

Last edited:

DR1665

Just remember, there's no style points in racing.

As for a proper RWD conversion, consider switching to a Supra rear diff. Plenty of ratios to choose from and should eat 500-600whp for breakfast. The question then turns to the tcase, but if people are turning 4G63s in the engine bay to go RWD in DSMs, surely there's a transmission option that makes doing so a little less painful.

Forget about building the motor. Your list looks a lot like the lists high school kids come up with when they go to a sport compact website and pick the most expensive everything they can find. Your first priority is RWD, so focus on implementing, testing, and breaking the stock bits before you spend money on a crazy rebuild.

Have you already been drifting? Do you need 500-600hp to waste tires and time? Do the Truenos have that much power? Consider an Evo III 16G, intelligent fuel delivery, and a bare bones, poor man's RWD conversion. Put 350 to the rear wheels and see how long it lasts. If it holds up, turn up the wick a bit.

Drifting doesn't require $5000 in engine and turbo mods. It requires driver skill and a lack of interest in real racing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Good luck.

2of9

i'd much prefer a starion for drifting because it is rwd and it has the 4g63 engine already................

charmcity

"It requires driver skill and a lack of interest in real racing"

Thats absolutly HALARIOUS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

belize1334

You can transplant a 4g63 into a starion but it doesn't come with one.

alansupra94

I was just about to say that.

All those specs you listed for that engine, I have already built into a 4G63 that I am dropping into my GVR4. Literally everything is the completely same.

Muskrat

Quoting belize1334:
You can transplant a 4g63 into a starion but it doesn't come with one.

Does if you're in Japan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned