The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Wheel Stud Issues

TylerAdamson

I'm attempting to get 934 back on the roads and out of the shop. Over the past few weeks I've swapped out the 4 lugs in favor of the 5 lugs and the 3 bolt rear in favor of the 4 bolt rear. I went to finalize my SS brake lines today and one of the wheel studs has come out of the hub and is spinning freely in the hub which is preventing me from removing the lug nut and removing the rim. Initially I was going to attempt to press the stud back into the hub, but I have no means of getting to the back of the stud. Has anyone else ran into this issue and if so what was your resolution? I'm wanting to get this resolved tomorrow and have the car finished by the end of this coming week.

AnotherNewb

You can try using a pry bar to put pressure on the stud and try to get it to bite enough to get your lug nut off. I have tried drilling the stud out through the center of the lug nut with mixed results, but the trick is to put pressure on the stud to keep it from spinning. What kind of wheels do you have?

TylerAdamson

I've tried putting pressure on it with no luck. I even took all other lug nuts off and lowered the car down on the single stud to no avail. Drilling might be my next step. As for rims, I've just got my stock Talon rims on it for the time being.

alansupra94

Air compressor and air gun?

Just a thought if you or someone you know has those tools. I love my air compressor and tools so much /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif Zips off lug nuts, exhaust bolts and crankshaft bolts off like nothing.

TylerAdamson

I'm working in a fully equipped shop. I've tried using an air impact and the stud just spins in the hub. At this point I'd be happy if I could find a way to just break the stud in half. I've got new studs to replace any damaged studs.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts