The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

I want to talk about cast manifolds.

Boostdtalon

Ok my car is and will be street driven more than it is raced. being that I see a more positive use with a cast manifold. Now the turbo I will be using is a GT3076R. As it stands its a T-3 flange with a welded on V-band for the O2 housing. If i leave it in this setup I would be able to go with a couple of manifolds. Now I have read alot about the different types of T-3 flanged cast manifolds such as the Turbonetics , ERL manifold , HAFE , and Treadstone . The only ones I've really seen any reviews or experience with is the Tubonetics and ERL.

If I don't want to do this I can swap the exhaust housing with one like the FP3052 and would be able to retain the supposed 2g manifold that my car came with or use a FP manifold.

Here's a good write up on the ERL manifold.

now I would like to know experience first hand on anyone that has used these types.

Do you guys think this is a good idea for a street driven car that will see autox/track time in the future. I don't drag race btw.

belize1334

The only thing that I don't like about the ERL manifold is that big wg runner sticking way out the side. I DO really like the idea of a wg runner that comes off of the top of the collector. It's just that with the new lower profile Tial 38mm MVS you could have the top runner be very short and weld the v-band flange right at the top of the collector. That way, instead of hanging out there in free space, the waste-gate is solidly mounted right on top of the manifold. You could then have a single piece of mandrel pipe to run from there down to your o2 housing.

1qkfwd

My buddy ordered the treadstone, I didn't like it and he had to return it because the turbo wouldn't fit. It hugs tight against the block. We are running the pte6262 with a vband housing. The manifold was very very heavy. It was also crude. I personally just jumped on the erl. Very nice manifold smooth and sits everything just right on my gvr4

Quoting boostdtalon:

If I don't want to do this I can swap the exhaust housing with one like the FP3052 and would be able to retain the supposed 2g manifold that my car came with

Supposed 2g ex manifold? Can you not look at it and tell or are you away from the car or something? You can look at the manifold and tell if you have a 1g or 2g instantly.

Boostdtalon

I don't know how to tell the difference. So please explain how? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Plus it's hard for me to believe things the PO told me. car was beat all to hell when i got her.

For what its worth, I have the turbonetics cast manifold and my wastegate, a 35mm tial, does not hit the hood. You have to remember that the space in our galant engine bays is different than in the dsms.

Boostdtalon

Yeah that does help. I know the turbonetics have been know for not clearing the block or the water pipe. How close is it to the hood?

I didn't have any clearance issues with the manifold hitting the water pipe. There is plenty of space behind it. I have an old 60-1 turbo and the comp housing does not touch the pipe. It was close but no touching if I recall. If your comp housing is bigger than that then you will have to dent the pipe or fab a new pipe to curve around it.

The only issue I had was the turbo oil drain tube sits real close to the motor mount. With a straight -10 fitting bolted to the center cartridge and a 45* -10 fitting screwed to that I had to take some material out of the motor mount so they do not touch when the motor shifts. I also used poly mount front and rear to eliminate shifting.

I am going to look into a fp cast mani next.

cheekychimp

img.php

Nice, is that the 'enlarged' oil drain to stop oil from backing up in the compressor housing?

What fitting did you use at the oil pain?

Boostdtalon

Quoting 3of1000:
I didn't have any clearance issues with the manifold hitting the water pipe. There is plenty of space behind it. I have an old 60-1 turbo and the comp housing does not touch the pipe. It was close but no touching if I recall. If your comp housing is bigger than that then you will have to dent the pipe or fab a new pipe to curve around it.

The only issue I had was the turbo oil drain tube sits real close to the motor mount. With a straight -10 fitting bolted to the center cartridge and a 45* -10 fitting screwed to that I had to take some material out of the motor mount so they do not touch when the motor shifts. I also used poly mount front and rear to eliminate shifting.

I am going to look into a fp cast mani next.

yeah thanks for the pic. Well I'm certain my comp housing will be close to if not larger than your 60-1.

Cheeky, I don't recall what diameter the stock hose is but all my research had most people recommending a -10 size. I had a -10 bung welded to the oil pan and just used a straight -10 off of it.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned