The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

N/A EPROM ecu??

1qkfwd

I have read that there was an EPROM ecu, does anyone know what these came out of? I always look for them when I see a car parted out or a stack of mitsu ecus. I'm doin an n/a project and would like to be able to work my own ecu. Also does anyone know if these had a knock feature, if not can this be adapted from a turbo ecu. I have 10-15 turbo ecus, couple EPROMs and mostly non-EPROMs. So I have a parts supply.

89Mirageman

The 92-95 Hyundai Elantra's have compatible ecu's and I have found a few eprom ecu's in them at the pick and pull. I've heard of 1g dsm's having them too.

1qkfwd

I'll have to look into the Hyundais. I have never came across the EPROMs in the eclipses. I wonder if it was a late 1g thing.

1qkfwd

Maybe that's why I don't find them, my area is flooded with 90-91 cars and a few 92s

tsiboy

why not just use a turbo eprom ecu /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

1qkfwd

That has crossed my mind, I would have to rescale the maps for more of an na setup. I would need to use a n/a bin since I'll be running smaller than 300cc injectors. I would have a beter starting point with n/a I guess.

The 4481 ECU is a good choice, as long as you aren't running boost, since it has no knock sensor board. But, all of the 1994 ECU's also have EGR, so expect a CEL if your car doesn't have functional EGR.

1qkfwd

I would like to be able to read knock. Can't you just put a resistor on the board I think it's r134?

cspetros

This page has some interesting bits about a non-turbo ECU with a knock board: Clicky . Also, I made this post a while back:

Quoting me:

The compression ratio is 9.8:1, according to the service manual. The 1992 N/A DOHC models had a 10hp increase (145hp) over the prior models, which had a 9:1 ratio. I guess this is why it needs a knock sensor. In order to achieve this extra compression, the 1992 N/A models have different camshafts in the cylinder head to change the valve timing, and higher compression pistons. I didn't realize this until tonight; I thought all N/A cams and pistons were alike.

The code on the pistons in this series is 63H (9.8, high compression), instead of 63D (9.0, non-turbo) or 63T (7.8, turbo).

I have all of this stuff sitting in my garage right now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck on your search.

Last edited:

1qkfwd

You should sell me a set of those lol.

1qkfwd

What do you have jeff the pistons or ecu?

Wizardawd

I have a EPROM NT ECU as well, from a 93. Held on to it mostly as an emergency back-up.

Wiz

1qkfwd

On these EPROM na ecus, is is possible to add a knock board?

jepherz

Staff member
I'm pretty sure it's possible, but definitely not worth the effort with the cost of turbo ecus these days.

Quoting 1qkfwd:
On these EPROM na ecus, is is possible to add a knock board?

Sure, but you would also have to change the code to the E442 for the ECU to recognize it. The other stock NT codes don't have any knock code in them.

1qkfwd

That's what I was lookin to hear. Now is it going to be worth the extra effort to add the knock board or can I just upload say the e442 into a turbo EPROM ecu?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts