The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

still hesitation after 4k

Brunoboy

Hey guys, I got my car back from the shop, after trying to fix so many problems by myself. Well I was off a tooth in timing, and my harmonic balancer was from a different car and all that good ish. Everything idles right, and Vacuum leak was fixed at the TOB. But After 4k IN Boost, I still get knocking, and misfires. The plugs and wires are new. BPR7ES gapped to spec. and they said there werent any boost leaks. I changed the coil packs twice with ones i had lying around.. maybe the resistor pack? Well let me know what you guys think.
-Shane

vtecds1

Did you do the primary and secondary test on the coil pack?

1qkfwd

How do you know it's knocking, are you logging this? Is the car stock or modified?

AnotherNewb

Dumb question but have you done your caps? 1947 was breaking up under boost after 4k. Ignoring that for the time being I pulled the ECU out (never fixed) to have it capped and chipped. When I cracked the lid open, there was acid all over the board. Sent it off to keydiver (was planning too anyways) got it back today (thanks Jeff)and loe and behold, the missing was gone in the higher RPMs.

Brunoboy

Mods are: MHI B16g, AFPR, Evo IX Pump, Evo VIII Injectors, 2g Maf and hard intake, Jonvr4 FMIC kit with Evo intercooler, dsm gt high flow exhaust manifold, 2g o2. Electronic boost controller, BSE, ARP Headstuds, Crower springs and retainers, MLS Head Gasket, 2.5-3" straight pipe, KeyDiver chip. The ecu has not been recapped or anything, and the car boost ok up until after 9 psi and 4k. I can up to 20 psi, the knock gauge Does NOT go off, but i can feel it pull timing and it does drop the boost back to 5-10. I have a logger but I am using the knock gauge, and I also do not know anything about the second coil pack 0_o. I am going to put in another set of Evo IX injectors tomorrow from my step brothers Evo. Hopefully its one of the injectors. Anyone else have insight?

vtecds1

I was having misfires after 4k rpm. I didn't know why, but then my coil pack took a crap. It`s a real easy test to do...probably 5 mins the most.

Brunoboy

what is it in order to test it? and btw i replaced it with another used coil pack i had, still the same problem, whats the chances of it being the transistor?

vtecds1

Read my thread and it will be in there. You just need a meter. web page

As for the PT, I have no clue as I haven't done it yet. Still trying to test one thing at a time.

power transistor test

1qkfwd

You say the cam timing was off and it got fixed, did you or the shop readjust the base timing with the cam angle sensor?? You could be seeing to much timing which would lead to knock and what feels like a misfire or sputter.

Brunoboy

i will have the timing checked tonight at my boys shop. but I am pretty sure that the shop who worked on my car had done it. He as well owns a GVR4 and other race dsms. Thanks.
-shane

If your hitting 20Psi and dropping back to 5-10psi all while under WOT, You probly have another boost leak, or
could be the wastegate, actuator, or the vac line to it might be bad.

Back in the day my friend had an auto Tsi with an MHI small 16g and not that great of tuning, eventually
the wastegate flapper actually burned in 1/2. there was no solid bosting after that, and sounds almost like the boost
issue you describe.

Set the MBC to 10psi, do some wot pull,s should peg right to 10 and stay there with the mod's you have listed.
If your pissin out 10psi + somewhere your bound to run like ass beyond 4k under boost. It's possible your pipes wherent
tested to hold the boost you intended to run on them?

Brunoboy

The pipes I have is the JonVr4 Evo FMIC Kit. The shop called me today, my front case gasket is now leaking, and dip stick tube to block and turbo cartridge is leaking oil...........i just spent almost 800 last week to do timing and everything, now im about to spend another 1000 -__-. FML. I can hold 9 psi all day btw, but still hesitates at 4k+. is it possible that the injectors are dumping too much fuel?
-shane

It's possible, What are your fuel trims looking like on the logger? MID/HIGH
and how new is your 02 sensor

Brunoboy

O2 is brand new like less than 600 miles and ill log it when i get it back

Brunoboy

so today, i got the car back, It blows TONS of white/blue smoke, its smoking under boost, and I am SURE the turbo is blown now, also the mechanic told me, it leaks oil from the compressor housing. Anyways, he stuck my car on the Dyno, and ran it to get AFR's. He said at WOT its in the 9's no matter what he does with my fuel regulator. I found out that the Temp Sensor that goes tot he ECU reads 70 degrees-80 degrees and jumps to a -4 degree temp. I think the Sensor is DONE. What do you think? Is this my rich problem?
-Shane

I am getting this exact problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Has anyone had this happen and been able to fix it?

I've tried/checked is for boost leaks (there are none) and I got new plugs. After the new plugs my car ran fine for a day and is now back to having the hesitation at 4k rpm.

broxma

Had you considered that spark gap by spec is for a car running 11 psi, not 20? I have always decreased gap a thou with every few PSI increase.
I am not on board with the rich fuel condition being a culprit here. I concede it may be tuning or sensor related but the car shouldn't hesitate even at 9-1 especially at speed. If you were getting hesitation of the line, then the fuel dump may be a problem. The base map is not a lot more lean than that in reality.

Sounds like you have a long list of issues to deal with and from the sounds of it, the hesitation is probably the least of your worries. Sucks you're having the bad luck. I feel for you.

/brox

boosted_85

have you tried swapping out the mas for another working one? also, what kind of bov are you running? I know if you don't have the bov adjusted correctly the bov can open up prematurely and cause surge and may make your car sound like it has a misfire.

Brunoboy

i have a non adjustable HKS SSQV, btw I still have this problem lol.................

dsm10o0

I had this on my project car. Just got it running right yesterday. First, change you ecu or check it, second, your timing might still be off.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned