The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

new guy needs help

just brought home a white 91 vr4 number 1501/2000. Iam new to dsms i need advice on doing the clutch i go to school for auto tech so i have all he tools and lifts. Also when i got the car home i noticed blue smoke when i take offor get on it clutch is slipping bad but when i get on it i notice a good amount of smoke. Also smoke is there wenjust idleing after warm up and idle jumps around between 1000 and 2000 maybe boost leak thanks for any inf

Diego

Well first welcome, second you are not in the dsm scene still ( sorry to bust your bubble) but we are a whole different class of breed. Dsm's are T/E/L models built in normal illinois, where as we (gvr4) come from Japan.

Blue smoke is oil, if you got to auto tech school that, you should have known, and could be a plethora of things from rings, to oil seals in the turbo, hope this helps but make sure you have fun in the end, these are special cars and shpuld be treated with the most respect, you can just go out and buy one of these in good shape like every other car out there.

Tranny is pretty simple, pull both cvs, drop downpipe,xcase unbolt along with tranny, remove. May use force if its been a while since changed.

Diego

Last edited:

thanks i understand ive built hondas my whole life but hate all the ricers of today so i have wanted a vr4 forever so what should i ckeck for about the seals and stuff how do i know just started school

AnotherNewb

Welcome to a whole new animal. First you are going to want to do a compression and leak down test to check the condition of your engine. Once those are done, if the motor is fine, you are going to want to do ALL the maintenance to your car. That means: Plugs, wires, fuel filter, oil change (and not just engine oil, that means trans, diff, T-case) Check to see the T-Case recall was performed, and performed properly, Timing belt and other misc wear items. All that can be done with your clutch out. Next step if your motor was fine is to pull your stock turbo off (willing to bet thats the problem, 1947 came home with a turbo so coaked up that it ruined the turbine wheel) and apart and determine the cause of failure and either replace or rebuild it (Now is a good time for a 16g upgrade). With all of that done you should be able to diagnose any problems wit confidance. Since you are in an auto tech school take advantage of the facilities and equipment you have available. These cars are very open to factory up grades. Using second gen pistons will raise your compression ratio .5 Evo's have many interchangable parts including turbo. With some use of the search feature on the .org and the help of many of its members you will be able to make your car however you want to. My suggestion once you know where your black smoke is comming from is to send your ECU to Keydiver and have the CAPS replaced and socket the board (

^^ That's the "nots so newb" I know! Good post bro /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/applause.gif! Beat us all to it. Dick.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts