The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4G64 with 4G63 Head

Well the original 4g63 in the GSX started knocking very very bad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif so we have been talking about transplating a 4G64 into it insted.
we have read alot on these swaps and would like to know if anyone have ever done it to like a VR4 or GSX for that matter

we are not looking to turbo charge it we are running N/A setup

H05TYL

you mean 2.4L

Check the piston to valve clearance carefully before you start it for the first time.

bazeng

You mean a full 2.4L bottom end with a 4g63 head?

If it is for the VR4, you will need a G4CS block from a HYUNDAI SONATA (now I'm not sure if it is the same in the USA as this is what is required here in AUS)

Will you be building the bottom end? ie pistons / rods / etc etc.

If not, the stock block may not have the valve slots cut into them to suit the 63 head.

Anyway, let us know and I can fill you in.

I'm running this setup on mine but with all aftermarket bits

Brianawd

You can put a 63 head on a 64 block with out a problem. Lots of people have done it. Now if you want to have some fun find a 8v 64 and put on a 63 head. With a mitsu mls gasket and the 63 head you end up with around 11.0:1. Fun for a Ggsx Search tuners as there is info on that swap

prove_it

Really? there's a 8v out at our pull and save. So what would yield more power, high compression or a 2.4L bottom end?

Brianawd

Flate top pistons on the 2.4 and the 63 head has a smaller combustion chamber than the 8v head.

the head we are planing has been mild to raise complession to 12:1 would only run on high ocatane fuel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif
here have been taken 0.01968498 of an inch of the had valves have gotten new seat and have been pushed alittle into the head

we are not planing on building up fancey with new rods, pistons etc, we might give it new main and rod bearings. othere then that keep it like it came and mount the head will that work or will the valves hit?

anyone have a good site with the build of a 4G64 with 4G63 head.

will everything right up in the engine bay and will i be able to use my original harness and ECM?

prove_it

Quoting Brianawd:
Flate top pistons on the 2.4 and the 63 head has a smaller combustion chamber than the 8v head.

So I'm looking for a 2.4L 8v engine? So I could build a junkyard warrior engine with 2.4L and 11:1 compression and throw it in my NA DD for some reliable fun?

Wow I'm sold.

Gimpin

fwiw the 8 valve 4g64 motor comes in 92 Expo/Summit/Colt Vistas ... only 92s though in 93 they went to 16 valve if you find one of those cars make sure its the 2.4 not the 1.8 because they came with both

Wizardawd

Great link from RRE here with a great list of motor apps for Mitsu's.

click

Wiz

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned