The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

4WS pros . cons

Olson

Im torn between takeing the 4ws out or leaving it in. I'm putting a 3 bolt lsd in either one.
What I'm needing is the pros and cons and the handling characteristics with it intact disconnected or removed.
Remember this is from a road-race/auto-x prospective

H05TYL

cons = 3-bolt mech lsd has no drivegear for the 4ws pump. 3-bolt viscous lsd does, but is inferior.

Olson

I have a whole 3 bolt pumpkin

Muskrat

I've never expirienced it, but everyone who auto-crosses or does a track day with the 4ws intack has reported some pretty interesting effects durring high speed cornering.

Remember, the 4WS was intended for highway lane change assist. It actually increases turning radius. If you're wanting this as an auto-cross/road race car I'd ditch it. Less weight back there too.

H05TYL

Quoting Olson:
I have a whole 3 bolt pumpkin

If you want to use a mech lsd it doesn't matter, whether you use a 3-bolt mech lsd, a 4-bolt mech lsd, or an evo lsd in the vr4 pumpkin, none of them have room for the gear to drive the 4ws pump.

This is a 3-bolt mech lsd from an early JDM vr4 RS

lsd-1.jpg

Olson

I understand the weight thing.
I've done one track day but i really didnt push the car as hard as i could have. more of a learning exp.

Olson

H05TYL - intresting... did the jdm vr4 rs have the 4ws?

gmtgmt - i know im kinda repeating myself here but. did the old rally vr4's have lsd's. Im sure they did but what setup did they use.

1qkfwd

From a racing standpoint I don't see any pros of keeping it. There's the weight factor, our cars are more predictable on how they corner with the rear solid. But if you ditch the 4ws you would have to rid of the active toe bushings with an elim kit.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Drive it with, disconnect the tie rod ends and tie them out of the way, then compare. See what you think.

misterfixit

Quoting Olson:
H05TYL - intresting... did the jdm vr4 rs have the 4ws?

gmtgmt - i know im kinda repeating myself here but. did the old rally vr4's have lsd's. Im sure they did but what setup did they use.

group 'n' had mitsu driveline.
group 'a' had full x-trac setup where the transmission, transferbox and rear pumpkin were completely different.

Rich

H05TYL

Early Group A cars used a locked centre diff (more likely a spool than a welded stocker, lol) and later they used a viscous coupling (again unlikely to be a stocker) - There's also a reference in the homologation papers to a 'centre diff control unit' - page 173 mentions Hydraulic control of centre differential.

On page 119 there is a 'H/Duty rear steering cylinder'

JDM vr4 rs, afaik they were only sold in Japan so the 'jdm' bit is redundant, anyway, they were available with 4ws and a viscous rear diff but are much more common with 2ws and mech lsd.

Olson

Quote:
JDM vr4 rs, afaik they were only sold in Japan so the 'jdm' bit is redundant, anyway, they were available with 4ws and a viscous rear diff but are much more common with 2ws and mech lsd.

Well im going to keep the 4ws and spend the next 3yrs lookin around japan for a diff

fuel

do any of the USDM GVR-4s have rear LSDs in them? most JDM ones do, but they're viscous LSDs. As Nikk said above, you can't have a plate/clutch type LSD with 4WS, so if you want a plate/clutch type LSD you'll have to lose the 4WS.

RedTwo

Que? What kind of japanese diff would take 3 years to find?
Are you keeping 3 bolt axles for scrutineering purposes? Seems like an odd choice.

Olson

I like the idea of the 4ws and since im going to japan i have time to look for one

Mark LaVallee

In reference to Fuel. No USDM Galant VR-4s ever came with any LSD.

Sold them when they were new.

Last edited:

fuel

What about the 1G DSM, do they come with an LSD and 4WS? Or LSD from a 3000GT with 4WS swapped into the diff housing of the GVR-4?

Ralli380Gvr4

Why don't you get a 4-bolt viscous LSD from a DSM and retain 4WS?

4ws 4-bolt LSD swap Thread

Keep in mind I did this with an A/T LSD, so it wouldn't be as complicated.

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting fuel:
What about the 1G DSM, do they come with an LSD and 4WS? Or LSD from a 3000GT with 4WS swapped into the diff housing of the GVR-4?

Some DSMs had LSD, but none had 4WS.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned