The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Boost problem

The_Big_Weave

Fixed my wastegate. now when i go WOT it takes a very long time to hit 10 pounds. 4k at 10pounds on a 14b is not right. and when it hits boost if feels slower then it was before it hit boost. Any idea what this might be? before it would sputter at around 15 pounds and pull right thro after that and had lots of power.

CarRacer

Boost leak test would be a good move.

Barnes

A) Double check that the wastegate arm is attached to the wastegate actuator.

B) Make sure your wastegate isn't doing what is pictured here. The red dimension marks where the bushing that the wastegate arm passes through started to come out of its hole. That offset should not be there. I had SUPER lag when this turbo was on the car. Notice that even though the wastegate is closed, there is still a large gap between the flapper and the wastegate hole.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3998/failgateillustrated.jpg

check: vacuum lines and boost leak. i am betting on a vacuum leak issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

TurboTrader

Pre-turbo exhaust leak? Cracked manifolds are very common. I have one myself, and I don't hit a full 10psi until around 4k, but it does pull hard to redline which leads me to believe you may have a combination of issues. The first could be a leak, the second could be the knock sensor going erratic. Once timing is pulled, you will feel a good loss of power. It is either real knock, or a faulty knock sensor. I would assume the latter. The black goo has a tendency to leak at the rear of the knock sensor and will make it become ultra sensitive and pull timing for no apparent reason. With the advice above, that should narrow it down pretty well.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts