The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

HELP!! Tranny not shifting into 1st or 2nd

Hey all,
So I was driving my car today on my lunch break, and I decided to launch from 1st gear, so I launched my car and tried shifting to 2nd and it wouldn't go in. So I pulled over and tried putting it into 1st and I wouldn't go, so I put it into second and it was very hard to get it in. This has happened once before but I just pumped the clutch a lot and pushed it into 1st and it was fine any ideas of why this keeps happening? Thanks /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I checked the fluid the other day and it was topped off, but ill check again for sure! And no other noises at all it sounds normal actually. And I can't see anything wet by the slave or master cylinder.

I bet you broke your 1st,2nd shift fork. Very common problem, I just pulled a broken one out of a trans that I'm rebuilding today.

I'm sure you ripped back on 2nd pretty hard and thats all it takes with the old brittle aluminum that they used on the older transmissions. The newer ones are a stronger and less brittle alloy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned