The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Different Offsets an issue?

cheekychimp

If the 3KGT rear sub-frame increases track at the rear, will it cause any issues using wheels in the rear with a different offset to those at the front, so long as the distance of the front and rear wheels from the "centre line" is the same?

The rolling diameter has to be the same but different offsets will be fine.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Paul,

It's worth noting that the increased offset will give a longer lever arm to the hub face.

This *may* result in the inner edge of the wheel being more likely to bend if you hit any nasty potholes.

Excessive negative camber will make matters worse, so bear that in mind when you choose your wheels.

Whoodoo

A few millimeters won't make much difference. I'm wondering why you want different offsets to begin with. Don't the 3kgt trailing arms bump out the rear track another 10mm and make the rear wheels flush? I could have used some 5-10mm spacers on my wheels in the rear.

JSchleim18

Also would like to note that the front wheels stick out a little further on the stock suspension setup. But since you're running the 3KGT setup, it should make the wheels sit closer to the same distance. I would shoot for the same offset wheel but something like a +40 to +35 offset.

cheekychimp

I bought +35 offset wheels in the 8 X 18 size. The fronts stood a little proud but tucked nicely with a little negative camber. On the standard rear end, the rears were almost perfect. The problem now is that with the 3KGT rear end installed the rears now stick out quite a bit. It doesn't look bad but rubbing seems inevitable and it is also illegal over here and rather obvious to boot.

A few months ago I decided I wanted to put a set of EVO VIII wheels on my stock car. This raised a few issues. Firstly I couldn't find a set which meant I was going to be spending stupid money to source a set in the States, get them powder coated and then shipped. In addition Mark (turbowop) informed me those wheels are also a +35 offset and 8 inches wide which means if I did the 3KGT rear end mod at a later stage on the other car I'd be in the same situation.

So the option at this stage (although rather boringly it means going with the same wheels) is to buy a second set of four wheels in a different offset and split the sets between both cars.

John, if that leverage issue is a problem I'm currently stuck with it as the fronts required this offset to clear the brakes and they only barely cleared at that. Unless I am mistaken the different offset at the back would actually bring us closer to OEM specs at the rear.

It's an unorthodox solution but might work if I can just find the ideal offset for the back. I need to do some research on how to calculate the offset required to bring the rears perfectly inline with the fronts.

H05TYL

I really don't see the problem, if they fit nicely in the rear with the stock setup, and the 3KGT rear end is 10mm wider (each side, or total? either way it doesn't matter) dial in everso slightly more camber at the rear and they will still fit great.

Also, you can easily roll the guard lip slightly to give another 10-15mm clearance.

10mm is less than the width of my little finger...

cheekychimp

Well it's not too urgent an issue unless they decide to start being anal at the annual inspection!

The car is on the lift at the moment having some work done to finish the exhaust. When it is back on the ground I'll post some pictures and see what you guys think. I don't think rolling the lip alone will sort this but you might be right about minimal camber helping. I just don't want to use too much, as rear tyre wear seems far more affected by camber. Perhaps that is an unfounded fear on my part?

IncorpoRatedX

sh*t my evo 8 wheels need to be out about 10mm more in the rear, I'm gonna have to do this...

evo8ya

I run +42 front and +35 rear for over a year... As said above, as long as the rolling diameter is the same, it shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts