The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

sputtering at 4000-4500 rpm "lil help"

O.K. I will give you the rundown.. I just got my Galant running again last week. Worked out all the bugs(so i thought) and I was driving around town to get some miles on the motor before i took the car to get tuned. I was getting on to the highway and the waste gate actuator fell off the butterfly so i drove the car back home fixed this minor detail and took the car back out for a drive , then it started to sputter like the plugs were gapped to wide. I checked the plugs they were fine, I replaced them anyway. I rechecked timing, its fine. No check engine light, no knock. Tom at Ecutuning volunteered his services and rode with me to datalog the car. There were no ecu issues, I ohm chcked the coil packs, on the 3 prong harness plug it has 1.5 on both sides but the proper ohms should be between .77 and.95 is 1.5 to much? kinda stumped could use some input. Any help is greatly appreciatted.

Nartanian

Have you checked for any boost leaks?

Lucas03ES

My GS-T was doing about the same thing and I went through leaps and bounds trying to figure it out. It ended up being the MAS was dirty and needed a good cleaning. I would suggest taking a look at yours.

Have checked all turbo plumbing cant find anything loose. Pulled the mas air off didnt look dirty, think I should hose it down with some break clean or rub it with alcohol and a Q tip?

Lucas03ES

I would go with the alcohol and a Q tip because I think brake clean would be too harsh. Or try some MAS cleaner that you can get at any parts store.

Sputtering is usually caused by the AFR being way too rich. What is your O2 voltage doing? Do you have a wideband?

Dont have a wide band. Did bump the fuel up some jus to be safe, but it ran fine witth it set this way. I was kinda thinking it may be the fuel pressure regulator. Cleaned the mas with no change. Checked fuel pressure at the filter it is 65 psi. Dont have the correct fitting to check it after the regulator.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts