The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

E85 - I just made the switch last night.

So yesterday I get a wild hair up my ass to try out some E85. I have been thinking about doing for about 6 months now. I finally got tired of spending 15 bucks a gallon on Q16. So I finally go the galant to about 700whp on Q16 @ 35psi. I had some fun with the car and drove it around killed some cars on the freeway, and thne drained the last 2 gallons of Q16 out of my car.

I simply put in 5 gallons of e85, went to my fuel map and added 30% across the board. The car fired right up, I still need to do a little bit of work on the idle but so far it idels pretty well.

So on to the tuning. I dial in the 0psi part of my map and get the AFR's inline. After that we switch to 10psi, which is as low as my wastegate will go. I dail the AFR's in on that. Then we start cranking up the boost. We get to 19psi, and without making any timing changes from my Q16 map the car is making 492/359 on VDR Dynojet Avg.

The knock on the car is really good, the car has yet to pull anytiming. I do still need to add some more timing. I think that I can get almost 400ft of torque at 20psi. I just need to get a little more agressive with the timing. The car pulls awesome at 19psi, and I am at 65% duty cycle on my 1350cc injectors.

So I will richen up the AFR's currently about 12.5 I am going to get into the 12.2 area and add a ton of timing to this car.

If anyone is interested in my maps they are here:
click

Last edited by a moderator:

thecman02

Wow you can get E85 where your at. Welcome to the dark side.

Nartanian

I switched to E85 a couples days ago. The torque gain is crazy especially on a simple set-up. The difference was night and day and that was from pump gas to E70.

prove_it

I ran my civic hatch with a stock b18 LS motor on E85 and it ripped hard core. I ran #715 on E85 for a few months but had to switch back, I think I lost about 40horse and more than that in torque. God I miss my corn power.
My friend is running his Talon on E85 and making bit more than 500whp at 25lbs boost and about 22-24 degrees timing. I bet 400whp is possible with more timing. At that level I've seen some guys pushing 25 degrees timing at 12.5 AFR.
I've heard it's way harder to knock with E85, but if it does it can much much more devastating, not sure if that's true or not.

Welcome to popcorn power by the way! Cheap race fuel that puts money in American farmer's pockets. Now that patriotic.

4thStroke

People often times split the block before the knock sensor finds anything if they just keep adding timing, it doesn't like to knock altogether.

I ran around at 530whp daily for a while on E85. It sure does liven things up :)

Brianawd

Quote:
I ran my civic hatch with a stock b18 LS motor on E85 and it ripped hard core. I ran #715 on E85 for a few months but had to switch back, I think I lost about 40horse and more than that in torque. God I miss my corn power.
My friend is running his Talon on E85 and making bit more than 500whp at 25lbs boost and about 22-24 degrees timing. I bet 400whp is possible with more timing. At that level I've seen some guys pushing 25 degrees timing at 12.5 AFR.
I've heard it's way harder to knock with E85, but if it does it can much much more devastating, not sure if that's true or not.

Welcome to popcorn power by the way! Cheap race fuel that puts money in American farmer's pockets. Now that patriotic.

There is a point at witch adding time to gain hp is not worth the risk. On most 4g motors any thing over 21degs is pointless as the hp gains diminish. Most all 4gs I have seen will gain 5-7hp for every 1g of timing up to around 21degs. After that its maybe 1-3hp for every 1deg of timing.

Car is making awesome power. I like it more than q16.

Here is a little VDR action. This is 22psi vs. 19psi on E85.

Last edited by a moderator:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned