The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Question about cam cap installation

89Mirageman

In my opinion the factory service manual isn't really clear on this. I know each cap is labeled I and E for intake and exhaust and the middle ones are labeled 2-5 for their location but that still doesn't tell you which direction they bolt on. I also noticed that there are little arrows on them. What do they mean? Should they all point in the same direction, towards the cam gears? Should I be able to read the letters and numbers stamped on the caps all from the same direction? When I install them like this the little arrows point in different directions on some of the caps.

ApexHunter

Intake side, I3 or whichever will be on the cam gear side. Exhaust side, it is opposite.

I don't think this makes a difference, but this head had some weird cams in it that aren't listed in the FSM and are a little bigger than all the cams listed in the FSM. The weird part is that based on the location and way they were marked by the manufacturer, they look like OEM cams. Again i don't think this would make any difference to the answer to your question but i'm just throwing it out there.

89Mirageman

I guess my main question is, what are the little arrows for? They point in opposite directions.

I'm assuming when looking at the cam caps from the side where the cam sensor goes, all of the letters and numbers on the cam caps should be facing the same way?

Barnes

Don't worry about the arrows. They only install one direction. Worry about the numbers. Just want to maintain the order.

H05TYL

If you look at the underside of the cam caps you'll notice one side is entirely covered by the head when in place, but the other side is only partially covered and will have oil staining on the 2 inner corners.

Now you know which way round they go, keep them in numerical order as mentioned.

iirc the arrows will all point in the same direction except for the caps at the end of each row, but it's not important.

belize1334

I'm just surprised that there's no bearing in there. What happens of the journal has a scratch and fouls the caps. Do you just replace the head?

gtluke

When you put the cam caps on that go on the cam gear, they only can go on one way, and they have an arrow. make all the arrows point that way too. I cant' remember which way that is though but they all face the same way.

89Mirageman

^^^^You would think thats how it should be but it isn't. If you face all of the arrows the same way on the exhaust side the letters and numbers will be upside down on a few of them. This makes me think you just go by the stamped letters and not worry about the arrows like someone mentioned above.

89Mirageman

^^^That is the way I had it installed and thought it was right, I was just questioning the arrows. If you look at the two outer caps in that pic they have big arrows pointing towards the timing belt. But then the cap that goes beside the CAS has a small arrow pointing in the opposite direction if you look closely. Then the one marked "I5" right beside of it, the arrow is going the other way.

So now I know how they go, I just want someone to explain what the small arrows are there for. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I would think there has to be a reason.

belize1334

It's so you know which direction the arrows are pointing... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

89Mirageman

^^^^Hahaha, that makes perfect sense now. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Honestly I'm starting to think it has someting to do with the casting process when they were made. If you look at the thing in the middle being held down by 3 bolts (not sure what its called) it has a small arrow on it too.

cspetros

Quoting belize1334:
I'm just surprised that there's no bearing in there. What happens of the journal has a scratch and fouls the caps. Do you just replace the head?

I was curious about this too. Any ideas?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts