The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ring Gaps

talon

So I'm in the process of building the motor for the Galant, and I'm need some advice on gapping my rings.

I have a Tdo5 20g turbo that I plan on running about 25psi on once the motor is broke in. I've read that with higher boost applications you want .006 of gap per inch of bore. My calculations gave me .02, but an old timer told me that sounds like a set of worn out rings and got me worried.

So what do you guys think?

Last edited:

broxma

I just finished doing a build and I gapped to .018. On all but one of the rings I didn't have to do anything. One came in at .016. I am planning on 30+ PSI once it gets running better.

/brox

Brianawd

Kinda need to know what pistons you have, Stock or after market

ApexHunter

0.019"-0.020" top ring

0.023-0.024" 2nd ring

That's what i'm using in the engine i'm assembling now. It was a recommendation from another board member who reported those gaps to be successful for him in builds similar to mine (oem pistons/rings, s16g, pump gas). I actually ended up with 0.027" on the 2nd rings because that is what they came at....which was weird considering the top rings were pre-gapped at factory spec.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned