The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ABS ECU in the trunk? Unplugged? Good or bad?

alansupra94

Well I was running the 0 gauge wires in the trunk and noticed this massive blue connector that connects to an "ABS ECU".

Can someone shed some light onto why this is unplugged....I have 5 lug conversion and looks like all the sensors are connected. And has that "lawnmower" ABS unit still hooked up in the front.

Thanks
Alan

Muskrat

PO wanted to disable ABS without removing anything? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

alansupra94

Wait, so if i plug everything back in, ABS should run? I mean all the sensors are there...i checked...well there should be 4 sensors on the wheels....I am going to plug it back in.

Is there anything else I need?

toybreaker

iconoclast
Please, procceed carefully.

It's quite likely the reluctor tooth count on your five lug swap will not match the count the ecu is expecting to see.

This *may* result in abs actuation the first time the brakes are applied.

Wizardawd

Why wouldn't the count be the same? They use the same axles as a ABS equipped DSM. And since the ring is attached to the shaft and not the hubs.....

Wiz

PO to me did the 5 lug conversion and told me it was a non abs donor and that's why the abs light was on. So I pulled the 2 fuses at the battery, the 3 plugs at the abs motor, and the abs brain to clear the light.

ktmrider

^^ Check out the How To section on a 5 lug swap and how to keep your ABS, has all the info you will need.
Plus it will keep TB's blood pressure steady ( and BTW he is exactly right on the ring count that is attached to the hub hint hint ).

alansupra94

Well according to the reading, 1991 has a tooth setting of 86F/43R while a 1992 has a tooth count of 43F/43R.

So I think the controller is fine....but iceman mentions some kind of part number...what is that for?

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Also check to make sure your 5 lug swap parts actually have the ABS rotors attached to them. Can't see the rears without removal of the axle cups IIRC.

alansupra94

Ah how can I check them for them being "ABS"....also if they are not, is there a way I can get ABS without having to change my 5 lug setup?

EDIT: I see that the Rjukan that they are not ABS 5 lugs.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
If the hubs (front and rear) don't have the toothed "gears" on them, there's nothing for the sensor to detect wheel speed from. Depending on who did the 5 lug swap, they may have removed these parts, or they may have installed the front hubs from a non-abs DSM donor car.

Also, as mentioned above and located in the how-to section, it has been explained which years of which cars have which tooth count on the front/rear. If you run an ABS ECU meant for X tooth count, but your front hub swap has Y tooth count, the ECU will constantly think the wheel speeds are out of whack. At a bare minimum, this will disable the ABS system. But, like Toybreaker said, it MAY result in much worse...

AnotherNewb

Go to an empty parking lot, plug everything in and start doing 60-0 stops, if there is something wrong with the 5 lug swap involving wrong tooth count you will find the abs kicking in when you hit the brakes normally, just make sure you leave yourself enough space to stop.

Worked on an Escalade with a bad wheel speed sensor, the ABS ECU thought that that one wheel was slipping when it was acually going the same speed as the rest of the wheels, almost put me into the side of a bridge when the ABS pump kicked in.

Muskrat

Quote:
60-0 stops

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Maybe start a little slower...You know, just to be safe?

1990ggsxnj

^^+1.. 60mph + Wheel lock-up = Jedi fun

Last edited:

AnotherNewb

Quoting AnotherNewb:
Go to an empty parking lot, plug everything in and start doing 60-0 stops, if there is something wrong with the 5 lug swap involving wrong tooth count you will find the abs kicking in when you hit the brakes normally, just make sure you leave yourself enough space to stop.

Worked on an Escalade with a bad wheel speed sensor, the ABS ECU thought that that one wheel was slipping when it was acually going the same speed as the rest of the wheels, almost put me into the side of a bridge when the ABS pump kicked in.

I want to know the results!!!! Did the ABS work? Did you try? If it didn't work, what was the cars response? J/W

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned