The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

data log of my car

vtecds1

I`ve been struggling for awhile now to keep my car alive after letting the throttle go after a high rev. At times only up to 3k. I`ve checked and tested the TPS and ISC and they all seem to be in good working order. I`ve adjusted the throttle cable so that it`s not tight and have a little slack. I`m venting to the atmosphere with a Turbo XS bov and never had problems before with it. I haven't done a boost leak test but my idle is around 850rpm and vacuum is at 20. No surging up and down that's associated with the ISC going out. Flywheel is not lightened. The ECU is not leaking(but has been chipped for 880 from po). At this point I have no clue what is going on with the car. My future plan is to get a chip from Keydiver to update the one I currently have, but for now I need to know what is going on with the car.

Here`s my mods:
680cc
SAFC2
FMIC
2gmas
255 Walbro
T3 turbo w/ tubular mani and HKS gate
stock throttle body and intake mani
motor is semi built by Class1 and head freshened up by FRH

Here's my log...The problem is see is the my injector seems to be turning off when I let off the throttle. The blue is the rpm and red is the injp.
log3-1.jpg

Last edited:

Hertz

Staff member
Injectors turn off by design.

You really shouldn't be venting to atmosphere with a stock or 2g MAS.

You shouldn't have ANY of those mods without a boost leak tester at your disposal.

Check the idle position switch, confirm that it registers on the logger. Check the VSS too, that may have a hand in things.

vtecds1

-Gotcha on the injectors...Doug just emailed me the same response.

-I`m debating which bov to get right now. It just puzzles me that I had no problems with it before the motor build. I`m guessing the previous owner had a stand alone which is the reason why it is on there. I was planning to get a 1g bov because of the cost as I dont want to dump any more money in the car.

-What is the abbreviation for the idle position switch and vss? I cant seem to find it on the log.

vtecds1

Looking at the log again...I dont think my ISC should be reading 288 throughout the session. What is the range it`s suppose to be at?

vtecds1

Disregard some of the numbers on the log. For some reason the numbers when I downloaded them to my pc are way off. For example, row 2 on the isc should read 7.8%, maf 37.7hz, 213.1 for coolant, baro 14.16 psi, vss(which doesnt show) 194. I have no idea why it would change the numbers around. I will try to make it right and will post the updated log later tonight. Thanks Steve for taking the time to post.

Hertz

Staff member
I think the idle position switch is not logged, but rather shows up in the diagnostic where you can disable injectors and stuff. Forgive me it's been awhile since I've looked at mmcd.

The VSS or vehicle speed sensor is a reed switch in the instrument cluster. I believe it has a hand in the off-throttle behavior. I think it is logged as VSS or something. It's generally not accurate, but if it doesn't show anything or is dropping out you know it's a culprit.

vtecds1

I looked through the MMCD Vehicle Test Menu and couldn't find the IPS. But we did adjust it tonight and I will test it out tomorrow to see if that's the problem. I also made a boost leak tester to see if I can find any leaks. Hopefully one of these solves the problem. As for the VSS, I have to do a little more research on it before I start to take apart my cluster. I`m praying that I don't have to go that route though.

Also, do you have any clue why would I get different logs when I upload the data to my pc? I know I had problems before(from my other post) on getting it uploaded to excel, but now this...

Last edited:

stevep

The IPS is one of the bits in flg0 but it's broken in MMCd 1.8g due to it being different than on a 3S.

I don't think the command/address for VSS is correct either but you can use the custom entries on the 4th page. Which code are you running the DSM or GVR4? The VSS comes out on pin 11 of the DLC so you can watch it with a voltmeter and see if it's pulsing when the car moves.

I think the mmcdtools code need to match the version of MMCd to get the right values but it's been way too long since I looked at it.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts