The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Reverse Lights not coming on

As the title says, my reverse lights are not coming on. The tranny was rebuilt about a year ago and has a little over 1000 miles on it. To be honest I do not know if the lights worked after the rebuild because the inspection was still good and I had no reason to check /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/idea.gif So to my surprise I found that they aren't working now that I am looking to put her back on the road /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif I replaced the bulbs, which solved nothing /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif and the car goes into reverse great mechanically speaking. The harness is connected to the switch and the connections are clean. First; if it is the switch in the tranny I need a source for a new or working one. Second; has anyone had this problem which was caused by a shady rebuild job, leaving the mechanical aspect of the operation inside the transmission non-functional? Feel free to blast, flame, etc., I enjoy it, hell expect it.

They are present, straight, and the harness side is not damaged or deformed, visually anyway. The only thing that I can report that is not correct is that the connector doesn’t "Click" into place. I have pushed it down and held it while an assistant checked the reverse lights, no change. I have checked to make sure the senor is tight and doesn’t move around in any way as well.

Wizardawd

As far as operation of the switch, it's fairly simple and nothing that can be 'messed' up. It has a simple ball at the end the when the shift rail is in a certain position, it falls into a gap cut out and activates the switch. The only issue i've heard of other than a bad switch is binding up of reverse because someone didn't put the washer back on the switch, causing the switch to go too far into the transmission.

Just remove the switch (24mm/15/16 wrench) and do a continuity test and see if it's working at all. Then go from there.

Wiz

Seems simple enough. I will report my findings once I get some sleep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bawling.gif

524of1000

Sorry I'm so late checking in. Soo.... what were the findings? If it's not the bulbs, and it's not I fuse, the switch is the next easiest to check.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts