The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Chassis harness repair / alternator wires

moduleunknown

Sections of the Chassis harness on my gvr4 are trashed. For example, all the wires that connect to the alternator are trashed, covered in dirt, oil, grease. Loom was not present in that area, wires were hard, insulation torn in sections, just overall bad.

I'd like to replace that section of the harness, but my concern, if I hack off that section of harness and reattach a good section - the double white wire from the alternator that runs back to a 100A fuse, how should I splice those wires back together? Can I solder them or is that a bad idea? I started thinking there's a good bit of current running through those wires. Would that affect the solder? Do those wires get hot, and would solder increase resistance causing them to get hot? Could the solder melt? Would I be creating a fusible link there?

What is the right way to fix those wires?

Our factory alternators are pretty weak (60A I think), so the current shouldn't create much heat. I wouldn't worry about the resistance causing issues either as its negligable in a car where power output flux's a ton anyways.

You could go about it one of 3 ways. You already noted the first 2, which are to replace that section and tie it into the old either with a shrink wrapped solder joint, or using a fuseable link/breaker. Other option is to replace that whole section from alternator to battery. Any of them should work fine. I'd personally do option three or two, but thats because I'm not fond of the thoughts/looks of power wire spliced together.

toybreaker

iconoclast
Vr4's got the 90 amp alternator.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned