The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Radiator fan at low speed & fan control

Nabeel

Just wondering how to let the radiator fan runs at low speed continuously when ignition ON tel get the emergency signal to go high speed! Also Any body tryed aftermarket radiator fan controler?

G

Staff member

Nabeel

Mr.G'

I know there are so many aftermarket fan controlers. Have you tryed Sard? or just something come on mind. I am woryed about wiring them. I think GVR4 cooling system is kind of complicated.

Nabeel

So...No body knows!

Muskrat

This is just a guess, you'll need to learn to read the electrical diagrams and confirm for yourself.

The fan switch in the radiator controls low speed operation. Instead of running the switch, wire an automotive relay up to a switched power source, and run the fans directly from that, instead of the stock fan switch.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
Good answer for the low speed constant operation idea. Not so sure without the temp switch signal that it will ever judge the need to go to high speed. Or does the high speed only run when the AC condenser fan is on? I can't remember.

Muskrat

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression high speed control was based off one of the t-stat housing sensors. I think the switch in the radiator is just that a switch. If it needs to be "ON" for high speed operation, your right.

However, here's another, better, idea: Unplug the fan switch and short the wires. That should do exactly what you want, be really simple, and as far as the circuit is concerned the switch would always be closed.

Again, I highly suggest doing the appropriate research and checking out how everything is wired with the circuit diagrams in the FSM.

Last edited:

Nabeel

Actually I did alot of search. there is no clear answer on how GVR4 cooling system works. some electric maps available I thing from the manual. But I could not understand the theory. Recently booth fans will run at high speed only when gets hot. I think it is by the ECU through the temp. sensor. the switch under the fan is new. I am not sure how to bypass the Fan resistor & it should be wired as stock now. both fans will also work at high when AC is ON. I tryed to bypass the radiator switch ...no change..I tested the relays & fuses. They looks fine. Note: the thermostat is new & radiator is also new with fresh cooling water.

Alainb7

The system is very simple.

You have 2 relay in the fuse box. They are id as Rad Fan. The one nearest the shock tower is the Lo speed one. The middle one is the hi speed one.

The Lo speed relay is activated by the sensor in the bottom of the radiator. It is a 2 wire connector) It start at 185f and stop at 172f.
To go lo speed, the negative wire of the fan is bypass via the fan resistor (bolt on fan housing).

The high speed relay is ativated by the sensor behind the thermostat housing. It is a 1 pin sensor with a Blue wire with a black line on it. It start at 215f and stop at 206f.

If you want to have the hi speed relay activated at on switch position, just unconnect the connector from the 1 pin sensor with a Blue wire with a black line on it behind the thermostat housing and put it to ground.

If you want to have the lo speed relay activated at on switch position, just unconnect the connector from the 2 pin sensor on the radiator, just made a jumper between both pin.

In both case, fan will start at on position because the positive activation of the relay is only powered at on position.

Me what I do is to use 2 fan in High speed. I do not have no more AC.
I want to use AC fan as first to start (To force air to pass true the rad to prevent turbo to heat-up the rad) so i leave the hi speed system to start the Pull fan when temperature hit 215f in the engine.

And i modify the lo speed relay system to start the pull fan (AC oem one)but at hi speed.

I remove the 3 srew that hold the fuse box to acces the wire under the fusebox.

I cut the 2 wire of the lo speed relay (Blue wire with white line and cut also the blue wire) Carefull, both lo & hi speed relay has the blue wire with white line.
Insulate the 2 wire you just cut that go in the wire hardness to prevent short.

Then use the 30a fuse of the AC to feed the AC fan. You cut the Black wire with white line and bring it to the blue wire of lo speed relay, then pass a new wire from the blue wire with white line of the lo speed relay and bring it to the fan.
You cut both wire of the fan, plug the new wire and the other wire of the fan, just put it to ground.
Again, insulate the 2 old wire of the fan to prevent short.

Last edited:

KiNgMaRtY

It seems that my fan does not kick on at high. Which sensor would it be? The sensor on the thermostat? I always thought that was for the gauge?

Nabeel

At the thermostat there are two sensors the one with two pin is the one you are asking. But it could be faulty relay. Logger is the easy way to check that sensor.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned