The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Not sure what's wrong need your guys advise.

We replaced the clutch and tranny in 1192. I was driving it tonight and it started off good. But then it was hard to take off and I would try and give it more gas and let clutch out or less gas and try to let the clutch out and it would bog down or make a noise like it poped out of gear and die but it's still in gear. I pull up in my driveway and put it in first and do a normal take off into the garage and it acts normal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif. Has anybody had this problem?

Last edited by a moderator:

toybreaker

iconoclast
Check your intercooler piping.

May have a loose clamp and things are opening up on a hard launch. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

[edit] Using a more descriptive thread title will get you a better response...

Been getting a lot of those "please help" threads again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Makes it sound like you're one of those guys that stands at the bottom of the on-ramp with a cardboard sign, begging for change. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Last edited:

Nartanian

Ditto /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

Terry Posten

Sounds to me that the shift cables are not correct or tight or something. Or 1/2 fork let go. Always in 1st and when you put it in any other gear, it has two gears engaged at once and she no go. When you put it back in 1st, things are OK.

Is the car "in gear" even in neutral?

Sorry for the title guys. it's only first gear and this may be weird but it feels like something is holding on to the back of the Car.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wizardawd

You might have answered your question.....Parking brake not releasing?

Wiz

I've drove the car a couple of times and it never did it. But all the sudden it started acting up. Today we are going to get it on the rack and see if we can hear anything when we spin the wheels.

The_Big_Weave

Does it shake at all in R? if it does then the clutch the could be angled a bit on the shaft happened to me once and snapped the rivets on the clutch.

+1 on the intake and +1 on the parking brake. do a full inspection for anything that looks out of place also. use your hands, jiggle things, the eye can lie.

I looked over everything to day and made sure everything had fluids. The parking brakes seems to be working properly. But when we had the car on the rack and spin the wheels you can hear something clunking. But I can't tell where it's coming from.

Wizardawd

Wait a minute...I've seen these symptoms. Tranny is used right? Because it's starting to sound like a bad/broken center diff or maybe T-case binding.

Wiz

The tranny is brand new I bought it off of steveb a fellow member on here. It has a welded center diff.

Wizardawd

Well...a welded center gives a lot of binding issues. Especially when turning or backing up. That could be some of your 'problems' there but, that's just the downside of a welded center.

As for the popping out of gear and such... A NEW transmission does not have a welded center diff. I'm not saying anything bad about anyone, but there is a chance that something was installed wrong or something got damaged when swapping out the diff, etc. But, looking at your first post again shows that all your issues are transmission related.

And imo welded center diff is the worst thing ever to deal with on a daily driver. Can't back-up, turning is hard and wears out your tires, etc. The only reason you need a welded center is if you actually make enough power to break it.

Wiz

Sorry but I should of said rebuilt. Steveb told me that's what he does for a living I would like to think that it was put together right. But you never know I hoping maybe the transfer case is acting up. I think I'm going to try and find another transfer case and see what happens.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts