The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

NGK BR8ES vs BPR8ES

Currently I am running BPR8ES plugs. Attached is a log file from over the weekend, which shows my knock. I am getting between 2.3v-2.5v of knock when it spikes. I am wondering if running a non projected style plug will clean up some of this knock.

Currenlty running the car at 25psi on California 91. Car makes about ~450whp. I would love to run more timing on the car but the knock is already at about the max I feel safe at. AFR's are well within limits also. Peek Torque Timing = 5.5, and max RPM 9. If I could get 1 more degree of timing at peek torque it would pick up tons of torque.

I have been searching around for info about the non projected style plugs and there really is not much info about the. So from anyone running a lot of boost on pump gas and or anyone making real power please post up your comments.

turbowop

I was having ignition breakup issues when first tuning in my methanol setup a few years ago. After discussing the issue with Lucas English, I went to the non-projected 7es plugs and the issues went away. I wasn't having knock issues but I can tell you they work just fine using methanol injection at 30psi with a FP3052. They're pretty cheap, give 'em a try.

Last edited:

grocery_getter

I always run the BR7ES or the BR8ES for plugs.

Quote:
I always run the BR7ES or the BR8ES for plugs.

Cheap & works very well. Gap them between 15-18.

Last edited by a moderator:

Launch

I've been installing my sparkplugs with the back of the electrode facing the intake port flatup. I accomplish this by using extra washers and marking off my 3/8 extension and socket where the plugs electrode is.
colt on 18G, around 20 pounds, running BR7ES and Q116.

Last edited:

evo8ya

I run BPR7ES in both cars. 24psi in #807 and 26.5psi in my evo both on pump. The 8's are too cold for that boost level. Yeah they'll work but they're not ideal untill you're running 30+ psi. But you'll have better drivability with 7's. Out of the box they come gapped at about .027 I like to gap them to .021-.024 You wanna run the largest gap and the warmest heat range you can get away with, without missfiring or knock.

Last edited:

So the initial shows a slight improvement in the knock. I would not say that it is awesome, but it is better. Just looking at the two graphs back to back, knock has lowered. Now this was not by a huge margin, however I think that I can get away with some more timing and maybe some more boost. I would love to get away with 30psi on California 91 pump gas but I am not sure that is possible. I will also give a set of the 7's a test and see how they preform.

The only downside that I saw to these plugs, was when I first started the car it was a little harder to keep it running, and it did not idle as smooth once warmed up.

I have the plugs gapped at .024. I am going to open up the gap to .026 and see if that helps, I am also going to remove my filter from the car, that might be where some of my issues were coming from /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

Brianawd

I have been using BRP6ES plugs with e85 gaped at 28 for the last 4years. Never had a problem with a miss.

I tried to run at 26psi on Q16 and .028 gap, and that did not happen. Car started to miss really bad. I had to gap down to .024

evo8ya

Quoting turboaddict:
40psi on e85 and e316g. I use BR8EG cleaned up my high boost missing.

40psi on a e316g /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif E85 or not. You're waaaaaay past it's efficiency range and just blowing hot air.

Last edited:

belize1334

+1. Remember that the air density (which is the end-all measure of a turbochargers usefulness) is given by the ideal density multiplied by the efficiency. When you get far enough outside the efficiency range, the efficiency falls off faster than the ideal density rises. This is known as a point of inflection an represents a change in regime where increasing pressure starts to cause the density to go DOWN instead of up. At this point, it doesn't matter what fuel you're running or what your intercooler is. You CANNOT make more power by turning the boost up any higher. It simply isn't possible. I would argue that 40psi on a 16g is past the turning point and that there is probably more power to be made by turning the boost down.

Sorry for the sidetrack...this is a thread about plugs...not turbos.

Last edited:

turboaddict

Quoting turboaddict:
40psi on e85 and e316g. I use BR8EG cleaned up my high boost missing.

car does about 126 traps. and 40psi is faster than 30 so i'm good. I should also say that that I have an air scoop that really helps the air flow, and I have ran 50psi and didnt feel much faster than 40 so I could agree with you only your numbers are off. The 4"exhaust helped a lot as well. the turbo has some tricks porting and what not that and a liquid air intercooler with all of about 1 foot of intercooler piping. A ton of little things done to make it work. I have had this set up for years tweekng it. (my pressure ratios are probably close to what you are thinking I just worked around it getting more air to the turbo and out from the turbo)

Last edited:

thecman02

Are you talking about PSIG or PSIA? I didn't even think those turbos could build much over 30psi and couldn't hold it 30 without special attention.

Sry for off topic but it is interesting.

Last edited:

turboaddict

psig i think, (guage reading from the intake manifold) the intake makes a huge difference above 70mph. again I was only able to make 35psi on the 3" exhaust but around 40psi. with the 4"

Last edited:

bazeng

On the VR4, I'm running BP9ES-11 myself without any issues. But I've got CDI on my setup which helps.
Was able to run 37psi with pump fuel without a miss.
Idle and cold its good too.

The AMG I currently have BPR7ES. Gapped at .6mm which is 0.023.
So far on 10psi its doing ok!

With the differences in the R and non R plugs, have you noticed any noise on your radio etc?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned