The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

high idle!!!!

adamvr4

ok, first when i start the car it will idle high and will not drop. Even when car is warmed up. I will turn the car off and start it again, and it still happens. I will do this around 4-8 times, then it will idle right. What could this be? IAC motor? throttle body? what? Help me please, this is getting really irritating!!!!

971of1000

Test the ISC motor with a multimeter and if you havent blocked off the FAIV I would highly recommend it. I recently did this and it made a world of difference.

Also, you might want to check to be sure your signal coming back from you TPS is around .499 volts at 0% throtle, do you have an AFC?

adamvr4

i have an safc, but now there is a new problem. yesterday when i was about to go to work i tried to start the car it wouldn't start. it tried to start, but when the rpm reached 1 it dropped and died really quick. this morning i was trying to start the car again but this time when the car almost started i hurried up and let go of the clutch and it worked. The car started but when i pressed the clutch to put it in gear the rpm drops and dies. Too fast for me to do anything. I wonder if this and the high idling has something to do with the same thing? HELP!!!!!!!!!

971of1000

I had an issue similar to this and the coolant temp sensor fixed her right up.

Hittman

just chiming in here with a question related to this...

^*if the idle is high upon first start, and then drops to normal after about a minute, but only does this when the car is first started (in the morning, or after it has been sitting), is this a coolant sensor issue?

adamvr4

when the car is idling high it never drops to normal after a min. It stays idling high all the time. U can drive it and it will seem fine but when u press the clutch it idles high again.

adamvr4

Ok, i was able to move the car in the garage. the way i did so it wouldnt die on me is i turned the wheel towards the street, put it in 1st gear and tried to start it. while trying to start it released the clutch really quick before it died and took off because it was in gear, but it will still die if i press the clutch. I got in the garage so now its time to operate!!!!!!!!!!!

adamvr4

changed the coolant temp sensor, but that didnt work. maybe change the iac motor next, what do u think? any other suggestions?

Muskrat

No.

It's a switch that tells the ECU when the throttle is closed. It's on the throttlebody by the lever the cable attaches to. There should be a single green wire running to it. When the throttle is closed it grounds out to the chasis through the t/b, completing the circuit.

There's a test procedure on VFAQ IIRC. Otherwise it's in the FSM.

adamvr4

isc motor-changed
coolant temp sensor-changed
im having the same problem. Does anybody know how much a closed throttle switch costs and where i can get one? Also how do i check to see if my coil pack is any good.

OMFGeofffff

Could be your ecu? I hope when I get a different ecu my high idle is fixed. The ISC drivers in my ecu fried and I hope that's the reason why my idle is all f'ed up.

AnotherNewb

^ I am surprised it took that long for someone to suggest an ECU issue. Right kick panel, pull the glove box out, a 12mm bolt and nut, three yellow connectors. If your computer has not had the caps replaced you NEED to pull you ECU. Take the 4 screws out of the case and open it up. You WILL see the damage from leaking caps or burned out ISC drivers.

adamvr4

hey, i fixed the problem this weekend. It ended up being the clutch wire. The clutch wire had a bad connection at the ecu. Thanks for all the suggestions.

moidsm1

Are you talking about the clutch switch wire?

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned