The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

3 bolt lsd?

MellowVR4

How can i tell if the diff i wanna buy is a true LSD, whats the number supposed to be on the 3bolt diff to make it LSD. looking to buy one just wana make sure.

JSchleim18

I Don't recall the numbers but for one they should be easy to search on the forum. Also, if it is LSD, it will say Viscous LSD on the sticker.

belize1334

Should say "Viscous LSD - B17" on the rear cover. Also, one of the axles will have a longer splined section than the other.

MellowVR4

SO viscous lsd-b17 that will be a true 3bolt lsd correct

belize1334

Unless the rear cover has been changed out. Make sure that the axles are uneven. Also look in through one of the axle holes. There should be 3 splined regions on an LSD vs. just two on an open diff. The two outer splines are for the main axle drive and then there's a third splined region toward the middle which engages the secondary splines on the Driver's side axle and operates the LSD.

MellowVR4

ok that helps out alot ill will make sure what im buying is a true LSD.

MellowVR4

OH YEA dude im getting the subframe, diff, axles and cups for a good price.

Olson

I have an LSD that says on the sticker that it is a vLSD but also says "B1G" what is that?

Olson

^ anyone? ^

H05TYL

could it be B15? does it have the hole for the 4ws pump?

I have a pair of 3 bolt mech lsd's and they have B15 on the rear cover, no 4ws pump and the fill plug says "use only lsd oil"

MellowVR4

how do you change the rear diff pinion bearings, diff bearings, seal. i tried searching but i could not find nothing, just trying to change them before i put it back on.

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
In the factory service manual, but it is not a 5-minute job.

Olson

Quoting H05TYL:
could it be B15? does it have the hole for the 4ws pump?

I have a pair of 3 bolt mech lsd's and they have B15 on the rear cover, no 4ws pump and the fill plug says "use only lsd oil"

Deff says b1g

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned