The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Drivetrain damage when lowering an awd galant?

I have been told on a Norwegian forum that if i lower my car without adjusting the rear end,
there will be a difference between front an rear wheels.
Resulting in drivetrain damage...

I've been working professonally with cars for 10 years(as a mecanic)
and can't see any reason why the drivetrain would be damaged with the same tire size front/rear.

I bet there is a lot of people here who has lowered their cars.
Have anybody had any whith this? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif (not due to ...inspiered driving) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

mistaVR4

Your drivetrain will be fine, it's the camber that may get thrown off a bit, so really all you need for a simple fix is a pair of camber bolts, or, if your doing some more serious mods you may want to look into adjustable camber plates, they are just way more expensive. Then have an alignment done and you will be good to go!

Overall, whoever told you it would hurt the drivetrain is 100% wrong.

Also, welcome to the forum!

-Steve

Thank you! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The camber issue was kinda obvious to me, but not to him /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Lack of technical knowledge leads to confusion.

Thank you for welcoming me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif It's good to be here!

mistaVR4

It will be nice having you here you will like it! You can find anything you need to know about anything when dealing with a GVR4 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

if you lower the car to much then the driveshafts start to straighten out, which can cause more wear/stress on the driveshafts. have a look at the rear shafts of a stock height car and you will notice that they are angled down from the diff to the hubs (not by much but they are) when you lower the car this essentially shortens the path that the driveshafts have to take causing more wear.

turbowop

Wouldn't a straighter shot theoretically lower the wear on the joint?

Mine are actually angled up, due to my car being lowered. This is why I don't understand when people say they want to go even lower than what my car is now. I don't think it's possible due to suspension travel and axle angles.

CutlassJim

I'm not sure on a CV joint but I know with U-joints there needs to be an angle present or the roller bearings will not rotate and wear out VERY quickly. Kind of how there is a slight angle to cam lobes on OHV engines to rotate the lifters during normal operation.

It's my understanding that by their very design CV joints work equally well when straight or at an angle, because the joint is able to move in and out slightly. The big problems happen when they have to work at a very sharp angle, like when 4x4 guys lift a truck and the angle at the joint increases significantly.

And lowering a car will not effect the prop shaft because it's angle is determined by the mounting points to the body, transfer case and rear diff, not the suspension.

turbowop

I'm pretty sure we're all talking about the axles, and not the driveshaft. We already had a thread where somebody thought the driveshaft angle changed when the suspension was raised or lowered, which we all know is not the case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

sorry, where we are driveshafts go from the gearbox/diff to the wheels, aka axles. tailshafts/propshafts go from the front to the back of the car.

H05TYL

The only example of suspension height affecting the driveline I can think of is on a mates CD5A chassis gsr/evo/vr4 hybrid circuit car, due to the amount of camber it's running in the front under hard cornering to the right there's a shudder which seems to be caused by the driveshaft bottoming out in the cv cup, a very slight reduction in camber cured this.

turbowop

Quoting GVR40:
sorry, where we are driveshafts go from the gearbox/diff to the wheels, aka axles. tailshafts/propshafts go from the front to the back of the car.

Yeah, what you guys call driveshafts, we call axles, and your tailshafts/propshafts are our driveshafts. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif It's clear as mud.

Quoting turbowop:
I'm pretty sure we're all talking about the axles, and not the driveshaft. We already had a thread where somebody thought the driveshaft angle changed when the suspension was raised or lowered, which we all know is not the case. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rofl.gif

I was referring to both the CV joints in the halfshafts and the prop shaft just to cover all bases.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned