The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Speed Density sensors

GreenGSX

The One Lap VR-4 is switching from a GM MAF to speed density and its time to order some sensors. I am new to SD and after reading the ECMlink Wiki I think I need a 3-bar GM MAP sensor and a GM IAT sensor. Both also needs pigtails too. Using the recommended GM parts direct link I can find all the parts for $186 + shipping. A quick google search brought me to DIYautotune, the megasquirt site, where I found both sensors and pigtails for less then $100.

Here is are the parts I found.

Map click
MAP pigtail click
IAT click

Basically I am looking for a little confirmation regarding the parts etc..before I plunk down the cash. Also, I was planning on installing the IAT in the base of the intake manifold so it was post water injection. Any thoughts?

Tim

Andy_S

Looks like the right stuff to me. DIYautotune is an A+ place to order from.

Your also might want to put the IAT before the meth nozzle. Reason is that the meth hitting the sensor will evaporate and create a temperature barrier on the sensor. With it pre-meth nozzle, you may have to tune the iat correction a little more because the meth will be cooling the air.

Thats all on paper though. You may find that placement may have little to no effect on performance or the life of the sensor.

GreenGSX

Thanks, I just placed my order. Now I have to print out the whole SD wiki site and get to the studying.

GreenGSX

arrgh...I should have known. If I had just spent a moment looking at tunersnation.com, one of our One Lap sponsors, I could have found the same parts for the same or lower price. Lesson learned, need parts start with the guys who support the board and the car. Not only the right thing to do but you could end up saving some cash too.

raptorWagon

3 Bar is good up to 30psi, unless you plan on running more, which I wouldn't think so too much for the One Lap. Does link offer a SD to MAF harness? Or do you just have to start hacking up wires, because you can use this click to hook the 3 bar and IAT to your MAF plug for a direct plug n' play.
I picked up my IAT sensor from here click for $15
The MAP sensor you can get for around $50 anywhere, even ebay, Even cheaper from the junkyard the part numbers are
GM IAT Sensor # 25036751
GM 3 Bar MAP sensor # 12223861

I welded the IAT bung into the throttle body elbow of my UICP.

Last edited by a moderator:

belize1334

ECMLink has MAP and IAT sensor breakouts on their GM-MAF harness which make it a plug and play operation. But, their cable is $75 and you still need a MAP pigtail. Now that I look at it the cable you linked is cheaper and eliminates the MAP pigtail making it a nice option.

Last edited:

raptorWagon

The Full Throttle harness has worked great for me. I do have the pigtail that came with my map sensor boxed up with other parts somewhere if anyone does happens to want it. I have the MAP sensor mounted to the firewall and still have enough slack to reach the maf plug without any strain.

GreenGSX

Quoting belize1334:
ECMLink has MAP and IAT sensor breakouts on their GM-MAF harness which make it a plug and play operation. But, their cable is $75 and you still need a MAP pigtail. Now that I look at it the cable you linked is cheaper and eliminates the MAP pigtail making it a nice option.

ECMlink is a One Lap VR-4 sponsor and they sent us there GM MAF cable last year with the V3 link. That cable has the break-outs built in for both a MAP and IAT sensor. Pigtails are still required but it saves the hassle of having to wire them into another harness or directly to the ECU.

DR1665

Bookmarked this thread fa-show. 195/2000 is going Jackal before MOD. I need all this stuff. I love the search... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scientist

I'm going jackal also and ordered the Full throttle Adaptor for the 3 bar map and GM IAT i got from tunersnation. Their SD solution seems to be very impressive

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts