The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Bad wrist pin

alik

So, apart from the (somewhat obvious) engine refresh (timing belt, camshaft gaskets, front main), and new rings and bearings,
what can I salvage and what can I not?
Are the rods reusable? Pistons? Do wrist pins come with pistons or rods? Neither?

TIA

kerry92gvr4

your wrist pins come with your pistons usually

alik

Thanks, Kerry.
Appreciate your input, as well as your links. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What can I save? Should I save anything?

kerry92gvr4

honestly since it is apart i would do it all. well if your just doing a stock rebuild the crank should be fine. but i would do new pistons and rods, at least used rods from a car that did not have any bottom end problems, but for sure new bearings, pistons and rings, and get the block resurfaced and bored to clean out the cylinder walls if your trying to save some money on the rebuild but still want some kind of upgrade you should go with 2g pistons however big of an oversize you need after they machine the block.

Verify the diameter of your crankshaft main and rod journals before ordering bearings to ensure you get the clearances you are looking for.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned