The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

strut mounts?

MellowVR4

just had a curious question, are the front strut mounts from a gvr4 the same as a 1g. Because at napa they have the same part number on the struts but not the mounts. They do look a tad different but im not sure if that matters.

CarRacer

Thread in Newbie section covering this topic.

MellowVR4

but they dont really have a straite up answer if they bolt right up or not?

Whoodoo

I think the 1g top mount doesn't stick up as much as the VR4's because there are hood clearance issues. The 1g hood rides lower, so it make sense to me... If you really want to find out, im sure you could pick up a just 1g top mount and see for yourself.

MellowVR4

ok im just gona get 1g ones

curtis

They bolt right up but are lower. The evo's will work as well and are way stiffer but there 120 on center instead of 90 and 90 and 180. So you'll have to drill two new holes.

MellowVR4

nice well thnx for all the help i really appreciated.

tektic

Some how they are not exactly the same. I just finished swapping out my strut tops and my wheels are pointing 2 different directions. I didn't loosen any bolts on the knuckle just reduced pressure on the coilovers and swapped hats for DSM type.

I'm so pissed right now its a huge difference and I don't understand how this could happen if these prices are actually the same.

Edit: Is there something I may have overlooked? I thought one of the cv joints popped out or soothing it's real far off.

Last edited:

iceman69510

Turn Right Racing
Staff member
I think you have to run them rotated. The caster is different on the Eclipse. I put them in one of my cars, so I can look at them tonight.

tektic

I have them in the same holes the Galants were in.

Last edited:

prove_it

I thought the 1Gs had used the front, rear and inside bolt holes.

tektic

Thats the way they face in the eclipse. They fit in the Galant holes, that's where I put them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

I didn't try the other way because people have reported their 1g camber plates not fitting and I assumed it wouldn't line up if I turned clockwise.

turbowop

I'm guessing installing them completely changed you camber, which in turn messes up your toe angle, hence the wheels facing different directions.

tektic

I thought this too however I eyed them up face to face and the holes and studs seem pretty dead on. They do kind of ride closer to the back in the window. A friend of mine suggested that the bad ones were just that blown out and the wait of the ear was causing them to flex. I'd like to say they look the same to me.

Either way I'm just going to have to get it aligned again.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned