The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Slightly overheating

I noticed my temp needle gradually going from slightly to the left of midpoint to about a little to the right of the midpoint on the gauge after idling in traffic for more than a minute. The passenger side fan turns on. If I leave it in neutral and raise the rpm, the temps go back down. I'm thinking it's the thermostat or water pump.

prove_it

Make sure your radiator isn't dirty. How old is your coolant too? I would swap out the thermostat and flush the cooling system too and make sure you have a good mixture. That's all easy stuff to try first before the water pump.

Are you running a stock radiator, or an aftermarket? Thats pretty old antifreeze also. I drain and flush mine once a year.

It's aftermarket stock replacement (non-aluminum). Actually, the coolant is about 1 year old as I had a busted hose last year which required a drain. I'll try the thermostat replacement first. Anybody use water wetter?

Barnes

Quoting Romanova:
What does the logger say?

This. You probably aren't over heating at all. Coolant is probably just getting warmer than usual. However, you are simply guessing with the stock gauge. Check what your logger says.

The logger ranges from 216-230F. Seems kinda high. I remember it use to be in the 190-210F range.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned