The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Who's running a 16g w/o water cooling?

89coltgt

I am trying ti decied what turbo to put on the truck, but I do not want to run water lines. That said, has anyone had any issues running the 16g's w/o water lines? Thanks guys.

turbofonz

16g on my Talon with no water lines and 14b on my Galant with no water lines.

Probally 25k miles between the 2 with no issues.

89coltgt

Sweet, thanks fonz. If I don't go 16g, I am gonna go hx35.

TylerAdamson

I ran a 16g on my 1g without coolant lines with no issues. Just make sure that you always use your turbo timer and you should be perfectly fine.

After capping coolant lines from t-stat housing... Do you plug coolant feed & return ports on center cartdge, or leave them open? If plugged: a shorter bolt with a crush washer?
Thanks

TylerAdamson

I just left mine open, but you could get bolt with the proper threads and plug them. Not having bolts in the holes shouldn't have any effect on the performance of the turbo.

MitchooO

Just to throw this in here, I had put a 14b on my stock setup 2 years ago without water lines and its lasted 2 weeks before it blew the exhaust wheel apart, I wasn't sure if it had anything to due with the water lines not being on or not, Just for a thought, Maybe it was just time to go bigger. lol

belize1334

I don't understand the attraction of running an MHI turbo w/o water lines. It may not hurt but what could it possibly help? Unless you're going to a non-turbo water-pipe, what's the point?

Last edited:

onesickcrx

People run 16G's and 20G's on busa's with no water lines for years and years. I am sure you could get away with out them but why would you want to? Stop being lazey lol

turbofonz

One less spot for a coolant leak (I broke a line on my 16g due to being so rusty) and less load off the coolant system.

And less wieght *shifty eyes*

raptorWagon

Quoting onesickcrx:
People run 16G's and 20G's on busa's with no water lines for years and years. I am sure you could get away with out them but why would you want to? Stop being lazey lol

The water lines are there for the everyday non-enthusiast driver, to try to prolong the life of the turbo after immediate shut down. People like us will invest in turbo timers or maybe have the patience and allow the car to idle for 60secs before shutting the motor off after a hard run or all day adventure of driving, this way you could remove the lines and as stated less spots for a leak. Running with no water lines is fine, it's the oil you need.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned