The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

N/T Throttle Body

TylerAdamson

I'm going to be using a non-turbo throttle body on my Galant and want to replace all of the seals in it as it has been sitting for quite some time. I called JNZ today to order new shaft seals and come to find out the non-turbo and turbo throttle bodies use different types of shaft seals. Does anyone have a source for the shaft seals or know where I can get a pair from?

TylerAdamson

I emailed Steve at throttlebodys.com and the best he can do is have me send my throttle body in and he can machine it to accept the turbo seals. I would rather not spend the $130 on something I can likely do myself. Does anyone else have a source?

Barnes

Can you do the machining yourself?

belize1334

If you want turbo seals in there it'll need to be machined. If you can do the machining yourself then just order the turbo seals from JNZ. If you just put n/t seals back in there then what will you have gained?

TylerAdamson

Yes, I am able to do the machining myself, I would just rather not if I could find replacement seals.

As for the seals, I'm perfectly find with putting the stock n/t seals back in. I'm not looking to set any land-speed records or 1/4 miles passes. I'm just trying to get the car back together with a few tasteful mods. The car will never see over 18lbs of boost.

Last edited:

TylerAdamson

Hertz, the N/T seals were never made by Mitsubishi nor were the turbo shaft seals for the matter of fact. When I spoke with Paul at JNZ he informed me that the shaft seals that they sell are actually made for them by an independent shop.

I just got confirmation that the turbo shaft seals WILL fit without machining, you just have to be careful not to over tighten the ISC side nut.

Last edited:

JNR

I ended up using 'off the shelf' size for my seals and imagine you could do the same for the N/T

I compared both throttle bodies to see what the differences were. As far as I can tell the bore for the seals is the same except on the turbo throttle body it is 1mm deeper (turbo = 3mm, NT = 2mm). So it costs $130 to bore each side 1mm? I imagine any machine shop will do it for far cheaper.

TylerAdamson

I know he would completely rebuild it, but the throttle body doesn't need to be completely rebuilt and it doesn't need machined like he says. There are several guys that have ran the turbo shafts seals without machining on their n/t throttle body's no problem. I can order all of the parts he uses for 20 dollars and I have access to parts washers/bead blasters etc..

JNR

I'm telling yuo...break out your dial caliper/micrometer and note the sizes; look up in a catalog (or if you have a really good hardware store) and be done for $2 or less /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That's what I did and it holds up great, with no sticking, binding, etc.

I'm thinking a couple of o-rings would fit perfectly, seal it quite well, and not require any machining or modifications, but I haven't had the chance to put it back together and pressure test it yet.

GVR-4

Sorry to jack, bit what's the advantage of a NA throttle body?

TylerAdamson

Drew, I'm just going to order the shaft seals for the turbo throttle body.

There is no real advantage to running the n/t throttle body. It just works better for my set-up as I'm running a Magnus intake manifold and ETS doesn't make a throttle body elbow to compensate for the throttle body sitting in a lower position. The fix to this is to run a n/t throttle body and run a 2.75'' to 2.5'' coupler to a 90* elbow to the upper intercooler pipe. It might sound a bit confusing but once I'm done with the rebuild I would update my build thread and you'll be able to see pictures of it.

belize1334

With an n/t TB you ditch the tb-elbow and just couple directly to the TB. This simplifies the system and allows for better pipe configurations. Also, n/t TBs can be bored out to 63mm which is the larges OEM Mitsubishi TB that can be run. Supposedly, with the half-shaft mod this gives flow equivalent to a 65mm TB which is pretty cool.

Adorsey

Ironically, my NT tb is packaged and ready to ship to steve on monday for its rebuilding and milling.

Maybe some before and after pics? I did get the tb for 20 beans and it should come back well worth the 175$

We'll see

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts