The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

B16g acceptable shaft play.

So I am looking at some used turbos to replace my blown one, and I am trying to determine a good spec for in-and-out and side-to-side play. So far the internet seems to believe that we all have dial indicators in our fingers, and uses words like "none", "some" and "a little". I want a spec, if anyone knows one. Please. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Barnes

The general consensus seems to be the following:

1)NO axial play. Otherwise called "in and out"

2)Some lateral play, otherwise called "side to side" It seems to me that as long as the compressor doesn't touch the compressor housing, you are probably good. This play will depend how much oil is on the bearings. A dry turbo will have much more play. For example, my used evo3-16g had lateral shaft play, but did not hit the compressor housing while dry. Once I put some oil back into the center cartridge the play almost disappeared.

and by NO do we mean .0001? .0000? If there was no axial play it would sieze. Obviously there is some, although it may be so small it is imperceptible to a wiggle test.
For some, .0002? .0006? .001? I am trying to establish a measurement that I could have a seller perform other than a wiggle test.

Whoodoo

I have no actual experience in this whatsoever, but it seems to me that one or two thousandths is more than plenty of room for oiling of the thrust bearing. Any more than that and I'd think there is excessive wear. But, like I said, take that with a grain of salt. You are correct though, without some play the thing wouldn't spin at all.

H05TYL

The factory service manual doesn't actually have any measurements (suprisingly)
it just says:

Quote:
TURBINE WHEEL ASSEMBLY
(1) Check the turbine and compressor wheel blades for bend,
burr, damage, corrosion and traces of contact on the back
side and replace if defective.
(2) Check the oil passage of the turbine wheel assembly for
deposit and clogging.
(3) In the case of water cooled type, check also the water
passage for deposit and clogging.
(4) Check the turbine wheel and compressor wheel for light
and smooth turning.

I noticed the same thing, I suppose I should have mentioned it. Apparently darksideauto's boss told him less than .030 was okay on a stock turbo, but I cannot imagine they were talking about axial clearance.

BluFalcon

Excessive axial play is the deal killer. Once that starts, it's usually indicative of wear on the thrust bearing, and it's a progressive chain of failure from that point.

sounds like someone is going through an awful lot of trouble to decide on a $100 dollar turbo. if the play has you worried enough to ask for exact specs then i would just get a brand new or rebuild. im not gonna sell someone a part they think is junk.

H05TYL

Provided the wheels aren't damaged, buy it AND a rebuild kit (~hundred bucks), scribe a line on the nut/shaft and compressor, dis-assemble, fit the new bearings and seals yourself, then re-assemble.

Provided you make sure the nut/shaft/comp are aligned exactly as they were before dis-assembly you won't need to get it re-balanced, so the entire process is diy (and there's only one nut to undo plus a couple of circlips).

Barnes

If this guy is worried about 0.0000000001" of shaft play on a new turbo, there is no way in hell he should be rebuilding one.

A) Listen to BluFalcon.

B) Buy a new turbo so you don't have to think about it.

Harsh but fair. Most likely I am worrying about it too much, I am just trying to stretch my budget on this build far enough to afford more goodies. I'm taking the motor down because my turbo blows oil, (and has, for too long) and don't really want to go through this again, so I think I will cough up the money for a pro rebuild. Thank you everyone for your advice, and darksideauto for working with me on this, even though I decided to go a different route. I really appreciate that you were willing to work with me to the degree that you did.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts