The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ACL Aluglide or OEM replacement?

Title says it all. I'm going to get a set of the stock bearings in the master rebuild kit I buy, does anyone think I should lay out the extra cash to buy the ACL's?

bazeng

Do not get ALUGLIDES.
They are not a performance bearing

GET duraglides or Race bearings.

I'd go for any tri metal bearing over an alloy bearing personally.

rgeier11

Get the tri-metal bearings. A good set of bearings is essential to a smooth running and fresh bottom end build.

My understanding was that the aluglides were a somewhat better than stock bearing at a reasonable price, but not a performance bearing. From your responses, I gather you would recommend a performance bearing over an OEM or OEM+ bearing?

If so, would you recommend a standard clearance race bearing over a duraglide? Don't race bearings hold more load but have inferior embedability? (The ability to absorb tiny pieces of metal and keep them away from your crank, something OEM bearings are designed for). I am only planning to go 350-400, so I would like to select bearings capable of that AND enjoying a long service life.

In my web searching I am finding lots of opinions about this, but no tech, and very few horror stories....is it possible it doesn't matter? I was hoping someone had an engine dyno shootout or something between a bunch of different bearings....oh well.

I guess lacking any more input I will grab the tri metals, as the only reason we went to alloys was environmental regulation (tri metal has lead, alloys don't).

Last edited by a moderator:

bazeng

ACL is Australian made and they are what I use in my engines.

I actually purchased a set of ALU GLIDES for use in my motor. They were suggested by an engine builder which I wasn't too happy about so I decided to give ACL a direct call to the tech guru. They told me not to use them on a performance car. They are designed for use on low power, daily driven cars. They are available due to the environmental concerns of some manufacturers.

In any case, I'd go tri metal over anything. Do you know if the OEM stuff are tri metal? if so, I'd go for them over ALUGLIDES.

When I spoke to the ACL tech guru, he stated that the ALLOY bearings are actually more brittle and are inferior to the trimetal bearings (duraglides and race). As for the RACE bearings, I believe they are pretty much the same as the duraglides, but have no cosmetic coating on the surface and they are more rigid in the backing on the bearing. The Duraglides have a silver coating that pretty much comes off when you wipe them down with a rag.

Bearings are cheap anyway.
You could get a set of rod and mains for under $200.00 USD.

Also depending on your clearances, you may only be able to get them in durglides and not race.

Here is a copy and paste of the ACL RACE bearing description on the website:
The unique combination of design, metallurgy and engineering come together to deliver what drivers expect from high performance Trimetal engine bearings.

Designed to withstand higher RPM conditions, ACL Race Series Engine Bearings are available for many of the popular 4, 6 & 8 cylinder applications and feature:

* High strength overlay plate
with reduced thickness
* Hardened steel backs on all Conrod Bearings
* Increased crush and elimination of flash plating
* 3/4 grooving on Main Bearings providing optimum oil supply
* Tight consistent wall tolerances
* Oversize chamfers where applicable

These performance engine bearings are also available as part of a complete

Here is a good read:
click

And the final verdict on that page:
Duraglide bearings provide a combination of high strength and the ability to withstand harsh/demanding operating conditions. This makes them ideal for performance/race engines and rebuilds.

Aluglide bearings provide a combination of moderate to high strength, good seizure resistance and excellent wear resistance. These bearings are ideally suited to general purpose applications (passenger cars and light commercial vehicles) where reliability and long service intervals are desirable. Aluglide bearings are highly preferred in modern import engines that have been designed for aluminium based bearings as OE standard fitment.

Perfect. Thank you. I will go with the OEM if they are tri metal, otherwise I will get the duraglides.

Brianawd

On my old 95/90 motor I ran for years the car was on a ACL Aluglide and that motor went low 11s at 128mph. I beat the living sh*t out of that motor and the bearings were perfect when I pulled it apart. My new motor has ACL Aluglide. But I also have aluminum so they take most of the beating

4thStroke

Quoting Brianawd:
On my old 95/90 motor I ran for years the car was on a ACL Aluglide and that motor went low 11s at 128mph. I beat the living sh*t out of that motor and the bearings were perfect when I pulled it apart. My new motor has ACL Aluglide. But I also have aluminum RODS so they take most of the beating

Fixed.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned