The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Switching to an auto

I know mark has an auto vr4 and I've been having clutch issues and would like to switch my car over. 1 because it will save my drive train from a lot of stress and I want something that will last and be reliable.

Now this is my question I know guys have been doing this for a while I just have never really searched for it that much. I've heard guys running stock trannys just a nice torque converter. Is this correct? can autos really take a lot of power without building them? What type of tranny controller would I have to use. I know the aem has to inputs for an auto iirc.

I'm going to PM Mark about his exact set up. I'm just looking for as much advice as I can get.

Car should make around 500whp (for reference if i should build an auto or not)

thedsmguy

I'm planning on this as my next to do with my Galant. I'm hoping for 400-450 whp. I plan on doing the converter plus shift kit and new clutches/seals in the transmission.

Good luck!

RedTwo

I believe that the JDM auto VR4s (and all auto mitsu boxes) don't really stand up to abuse for long. On the other hand, they tend to be quite unwanted /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

thedsmguy

We have drag races a 700-900 hp 4g63 colt with a fwd auto in it for years now. They are cheaper to rebuild completely then a nice clutch is alone! Plus, spool on the line (not much but hey) I'm planning on nitrous to help out of the dig and a big arse turbo.

fuel

Once you add 4WD to the mix the auto will not stand up to abuse for long. The W4A32 in the VR-4 is quite weak and would no doubt end up costing more than a manual with a good clutch in the long run.

thedsmguy

The auto awd DSM transmissions have been holding good power for a while now. The only one I know off hand is one built by english racing that ran a 10.8 on stock transmission.

4thStroke

Quoting thedsmguy:
The auto awd DSM transmissions have been holding good power for a while now. The only one I know off hand is one built by english racing that ran a 10.8 on stock transmission.

Luke's auto went 10.3 at 129 last weekend... with his wife driving. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Last edited:

DR1665

90 Eclipse GSX: 800hp, 9.45 ET, "stock" automatic.
click

They rebuild it after every couple of passes, but I suspect for a car that doesn't see 90% of it's time at WOT trying to force 500hp+ to the ground, a stock Mitsu slushbox could hold up. As always, YMMV and maintenance goes a long way.

I've been thinking about this too, given my 2 hours a day in slow-n-go rush hour traffic. Last week, I counted all the times I had to disengage the clutch during my drive home on a "light traffic" day - 143 times. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif Even so, I don't know that I'd want to give up the pleasure of driving when there was no traffic. Hmm... I do have a second GVR4, though, so maybe it's all moot...

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned