The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Ring and Pinion

Does anybody know where to find a higher final drive for our cars? Maybe like a 4.92?

That would be a lower final drive. Are you looking for lower RPM's on the highway or just the opposite?

Higher rpms on freeway, closer gears. Is 4.92 lower I read that GVR4s have like a 3.86 or something like that?

Terry Posten

What would be the reason for running more revs on the highway? What is your goal?

Galantvr41062

Why would you want to run a higher RPM on the high way? The rear end ratio would not be to hard to change if you install a solid rear axel set up. The issue comes in on the front ring and pinion and getting the numbers to match up. There are a lot of ways to make 1st gear high with a shorter split between gears and a lower cruising RPM on the high way. Take a look here: click

~John

Last edited:

gtluke

you need a galant rs transmission and rear ring and pinion. you can't just swap one of you'll blow up the center diff in the trans.
I have the galant rs trans and rear in my car, it's damn awesome. super fast revs, really brings the car to life.
the US galants have 3.55 final drive and the rs is 3.909
which isn't an accurate number, since the x-case cuts that number some. in reality it's something like 5.45 final drive.
My hour commute into the city today my galant was over 4k rpm's most of the time. as soon as you step on the gas the turbo is spooled, it's sweet.

Olson

What about auto awd dsm's do they have a higher final drive??

RedTwo

I was actually working this out last night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
If you grab the 3.909 ratio ring and pinion gears from the gearbox and rear diff, slap them in your car you end up with a 5.437:1 final drive ratio vs the 4.933 final drive your car currently has. You don't, however, get the advantage of the short ratio gears from a full gearbox swap.

Gearbox reduction: 1.276:1
Transfer case: 1.090:1
Front diff: 3.867:1/4.2xx:1
Rear diff: 3.545:1/3.909:1

Final drive = (rear diff ratio * transfer case ratio * gearbox reduction ratio)
OR
Final drive = (front diff ratio * gearbox reduction ratio)

It definitely made the top speed in each gear reduce some what, but I can't remember by how much.

**edit: wrong front diff ratio when fitted with 3.909:1**

Last edited:

Whoodoo

I don't know why you would want your drive ratio and shorter than it already is. I guess I have different preferences than most people here, but I think getting to 60 about 3/4 of the way through 2nd gear is where I'd like to be. I'm sure having a bone stock 14b doesn't help because power drops off pretty quickly up top.

I'd be more motivated to find a way to get more power lower down and broaden the torque curve. It just seems like a better fix for driveability than shortening all the ratios.

I've driven things that have really close gears and honestly, unless you are running strictly autocross, I don't think it does many favors. Constantly changing gears slows you down.

Sorry if I'm ranting, but I guess I just would like some more info on why you are pursuing this.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned