The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Injectors leaking? cause knock?

Brunoboy

Hey guys, I know ive been over this a million times, but I thought about this yesterday, Like I said my car knocks under boost sometimes, its hit or miss, well I notice that when i gas hard and it knocks, I run real rich or something, I get black smoke out of my exhaust(straight pipe) and right now after i let off because of knock i get fuel smell all over the cabin. Its so bad all my passengers and I get headaches. When I put the evo injectors in, I used new o-rings and seals in the head. The seals in the head werent snug though, is that normal? They kind of just sit in there. I was wondering if this would cause knock, if they were leaking? Thanks
-Shane

prove_it

Did you use EVO seals or Galant seals. When I put my EVO 560's in I used some O'reilly special EVO seals and fit tight.

You can be knocking under a rich condition it does happen. Run too rich and you can see knock, however it's possible your knock sensor is just junk and is sending a false signal. Also what are you using for tuning? When the stock ecu sees knock it pulls timing, pulls boost, and adds fuel.

If your using an AFC to pull fuel then your adding timing too. This will cause issues.

Brunoboy

I ordered seals meant for our motor 1g and I am using keydivers chip and safc, I smelled my oil and it smells lime gas too.

Man you can't be driving around a car that has a fuel leak. Thats the one thing that cannot leak in an engine bay. Playing with fire.

Brunoboy

Quoting unior:
Man you can't be driving around a car that has a fuel leak. Thats the one thing that cannot leak in an engine bay. Playing with fire.

it's not leaking ab idle or free revving but I'm pretty sure it's leaking under high boost becuase it's a hit or miss on low boost but always on high boost andiy smells like fuel , all throughout he inside of the car to the point of headaches....

You could attach regulated 20-30 lbs of compressed air to the fuel pressure regulator to simulate 20-30psi of boost on top the base 43 lbs of pressure. Get the fuel pressure up to 60-70 and really check all your fittings and lines, injectors.

Unless you are smelling rich exhaust. But if you had no exhaust leaks and the exhaust leaves the rear of the car I wouldn't think you'd smell that much raw fuel smell. Exhaust leaks are bad also if they're getting into the cabin cause if your not running 14.7:1 all the time (which your not) your creating carbon monoxide. Keep her on recirc lol.

Cars with exhaust/fuel leaks fail safety inspection for a reason. (in my state)

uncleben4rice

This happened to me, I went to FFTec and Sean gave me some different seals. (dont quote me on which ones) just tell him your problem and he will give you the right seals and O-rings. I think it cost around $14 bucks. Conrad installed them, problem gone. Its the seals and possibly the O-rings, just change them all. I had the same exact problem when I put in my RC 750s

Brunoboy

Thanks all of you and thanks Junius , I will look into it asap.
-Shane

Brunoboy

I took out the seals and insulators, re inspected them, all still feel like new, greased them, reinserted them, still knocking, but I DO hear a air leak around the BOV area. like a High Screeching noise after boost...0_o. im assuming Im leaking there. aha
-Shane

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned