The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

why am i blowing turbo's.... ?!?!?!?!

GolfBall

so...

got the car.. had the stock turbo, it was blown and nasty and lightly smoking...

put a new mani and a stupid cheap ebay 60-1 on and it still smoked. So i replaced valve stem seals... still smoked and the turbo ate itself in less then 50 miles, massive shaft play and blow by.

SO said no more cheap and bought a really nice t-67 and another new manifold and watsegate and redid the oil drain for max flow.

WELP the new turbo is now trashed after less then 20 mils and has shaft play and was just started to touch the housing. WTF.....

anyone know of a notorious oil pressure issue wit these or something cause i dont wanna fix this turbo and have it blow again....

Brunoboy

where are you feeding from? Oil pressure is too high from the OFH for a stock turbo, the car comes stock fed from the head, and I am pretty sure if your running a ball bearing turbo, then you swith it to the oil filter housing for more pressure.
-shane

4thStroke

Ball bearing turbos require less oil than journal bearing turbos.

Was the T-67 ball bearing?

Were you running any sort of restrictor?

Brunoboy

I thought it was the other way around. 0_o.
-shane

Terry Posten

BB turbos need less oil. You have to run a restrictor from either feed locations. I choose directly from the filter housing because the oil is cleaner.

I fixed a rally car once with the same issue. The problem was silicone had become lodged inside the oil feel line. Took 2 seconds to figure it out once the line was off. Turbos aren't cheap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

GolfBall

yeah the oil feed has no restrictors and is coming off the oil filter housing....

turbo's arent cheap indeed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif after work im tearing everthing apart and inspecting every port and making sure every line is clear and trying to figure out why this happened....

oh and no the t67 is non ball bearing...

belize1334

I still think that the turbo feed should come from the head unless you have a restrictor. Mitsubishi knew what they were doing when they chose where to source their oil to make the 14b last for 200k miles.

turbowop

The only turbos that I know of setup to run directly off the filter housing are the FPgreen and FPred, since they have the thrust bearing modified to handle the pressure. Maybe others are similar, but I've always fed oil to every other turbo I've had off the head, including my FP3052 which additionally runs a restrictor.

Polish

+1 the last two posts.

Here is what we do at our shop for journal bearing turbos off the oil housing. We run a -4 inlet with an FP journal bearing restrictor /filter and a -10 return line. If you are not very good at changing your oil and don't want to mess around with cleaning the FP filter/screen you can run a -3 inlet and -10 return. We have tried just a -4 inlet with no restrictor but it is hit or miss with turbo smoking which will eventually lead to your turbos failure, so we only run -3 without a restrictor. As for the newer Ball bearing units FP has a special restrictor to run off the oil housing but we normally just run it off the head since pressure and volume are regulated. If you have the Kiggly regulator you may want to run it off the oil housing. Just remember if your turbo is smoking oil is getting into the turbine or compressor so you need to restrict the volume or remove it faster by a smaller inlet or larger return. Hope this helps

kerry92gvr4

so real dumb question, but could that be why my car smokes under boost but not when i am just driving normal? i have a pte5031 not sure if its ball bearing or not, pretty sure there is no restrictor and it is being feed from the oil filter housing!! i will be doing a compression check and leakdown check tomorrow and see what i get from that. what is a good or normal compression for a 4g63 with stock internals?

4thStroke

Only under boost? Are you sure its not just fuel enrichment? Is your cat catted?

When I pull at WOT, I can see a stream of smoke following through my hazy clear tint window. Fuel enrichment.

kerry92gvr4

actually only after i shift and hit the throttle again after boost it will puff out a good ploom of smoke, and then sometimes when i am just on it, but the thing i am worried about is the big ploom after i hit the throttle after shifting ??? kinda weird

brisvr4

^^This is offtopic but how much oil pressure are you seeing?

A lot of times the puff of smoke after a shift is from fuel. This generally happens with an aftermarket atmosphere venting BOV. For a split second extra air is removed from the intake track but the MAF has already metered the air . So you get a rich condition for a split second.

kerry92gvr4

not sure on oil pressure i will have to check but the bov is recirculated still but it is an old school hks. and it is defiantly oil smoke

Hertz

Staff member
Quoting kerry92gvr4:
actually only after i shift and hit the throttle again after boost it will puff out a good ploom of smoke, and then sometimes when i am just on it, but the thing i am worried about is the big ploom after i hit the throttle after shifting ??? kinda weird

If you get this after sitting idle for a minute as well, it's a good sign of valve stem seals... while idling and especially during a shift you're pulling in some bigtime vacuum and sucking in oil, followed by (hopefully) some significant pressure, pushing the oil out the exhaust.

If you are pulling oil from the oil filter housing, make sure that you are pulling it from the filtered port and not the dirty port. If you are feeding it from the head, I would point my finger at the valve cover. Does it have a freshly painted valve cover on it. If it does I bet someone bead blasted it or sand blasted it and that stuff will give you nightmares.

Look at this link and make sure your on the correct port.
click

kerry92gvr4

compression was 146 146 145 135 so i know that is not the best but i don't think that's my problem ?? no i replaced the pcv with one from mitsu and am going to change my feed line back to the head from the filter housing and see if that helps. yeah the vc has been painted at some point but how would that affect it? the cover is still breathing as far as i can tell. and also the vent off the side of the vc goes to nowhere because my setup don't have a spot for me to return it to the intake. oh and also if it was rings i would think it would be a more constant thing right ???

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned