The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Washers for Rear Subframe Bushings

JDM_DSM

I'm trying to install the poly subframe and moustache brace bushings I got from BoostX a while ago, but I've gotten completely mixed up about the washers. I managed to lose track of what came off where, and I can't seem to figure it out. It doesn't help that the factory manual and CAPS show different things as well.

Can anyone help me figure out what should go where? Basically between the 4 bushings I just changed I've got 4 big washers that are the same outer diameter as the moustache bushings, and 2 washers that have raised middles. All of these originally had rubber bonded to them which I've cleaned off (I assume that was the thing to do. Should I even be re-using all of them?

JDM_DSM

Actually while I'm at it, which way do the moustache bushings even go in? I can't find any pictures that make it particularly obvious.

As far as i remember the washers with the raised middles are for the bigger bushings which are the subframe bushings. I reused the washers just because. I'm not entirely sure if i had to or not but i did.

There is only one way to put the subframe bushings in. In the same manner these go in so do the mustache bushings. The solid are faces down and the circular piece goes on the lip on top. Pictures tell 1000 words and unfortunately i don't have any. Thanks to Matt "The Kid" these were easy to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/worthy.gif

Edit: I misread and didn't realize you just wanted to know about the washers. Like i said i reused them as well and the ones with the raised middle were for the bigger subframe bushings. I'm sure more people will chime in but thats my two cents.

Last edited by a moderator:

curtis

Mustache brace mounts with the angles going up and out. The bushings press in from the bottom and then the donuts on top . Same for the subframe. Then for washers it really doesn't mater there flipped anyway, or you can cut the rubber off with a razor then clean off remainder with a bench grinder with a wire brush. The bottom of the subframe has the big plate that bolts to the car so as long as a washer is there your fine. click for pictures Your welcome if you have anymore problems PM me

Romanova

These the rubber stoppers that go between the body and the bushing? If so, these are pretty much NLA... I got some of the last ones in the country according to JNZ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

JDM_DSM

Sweet, so I know my moustache bushings are upside down at the moment... Oh well, easy to fix.

As for the washers (aka stoppers), some people are saying the cone shaped washers are for the subframe, but this picture from Curtis looks to me like he has them on the moustache.
click

Thinking about that now though, that probably wouldn't work with the new bushings anyway, especially with the rubber removed from the stopper. The shape of the washer wouldn't fit flush against the bushing.

My main concern though, which I'm still a little unclear on, is whether any washers should be put back on top of any of the bushings, i.e. between the bushing and the body of the car. It seems to me that having the wrong setup there would effectively change the angle my diff sits at, which I'm told is less than ideal, or can cause vibrations from the driveshaft or something...

curtis

They way we did it on Vinny's car is the way I designed them to work. Putting the washer up against the bushing with the rubber will do nothing. If you wanted to you could flip them over or just use a new big flat washer from a hardware store. As for the subframe it has the recessed area cut in it for the big plate to go in that bolts to the frame.

JDM_DSM

Ok, that explains that part of it thanks.

The one thing I still would like to know though, is should there be anything between the car and the bushings, or do they go right against the body of the car?

curtis

No just put the bushings against the car /mounts.

JDM_DSM

Sweet. Thanks for the help guys.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned