The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

ACT solid street disk. Minimal feedback on the web. Anyone?

Scott Y

I am contemplating a 2900 w/solid street disk. I ran a 2600 + organic disk for over 2 years of 12sec passes plus thousands of street miles. It was a great clutch, but I want to be able to shift faster at over 7K or NLTS to post some low 12s, and I thought that this combo may work for me. No twins, no pucks, I drive my 5 year old daughter around in the car, sometimes it's even the snowmobile (our only awd car).
I need a Jacks Transmission and a clutch this year, just gotta save some more pennies.

464/2K

I'm going to be running the same setup (2900+unsprung 4puck). Well see how well it hold up.

Brianawd

Quote:
I want to be able to shift faster at over 7K or NLTS to post some low 12s

Good luck with that. You will be lucky if you can shift at any thing past 6,500rpm and not have the clutch drag.

Run as faraway from ACT as you can.

Last edited:

Scott Y

I've had great luck with the 2600, I could hotlap for 5 or 6 runs for a few test-n-tunes per year plus street playing and it worked like an absolute champ. It shifted pretty well at 7K, but I found a couple of tenths by shifting at 7500 and that's where I found the shifting fighting me. I discovered this at the end of a few years of faithful service, with the clutch fork slowly moving towards the driver's side of the bellhousing in relation to the slave cylinder.

I have no problem getting another ACT clutch, just thought the solid street disk might be lighter than the sprung version and help a bit at higher rpm.

464/2K

Scott see my thread a few topics down.... That is one of the many reasons why to steer clear. You most likely have an old style act which is why it has held up.

1badgvr4

Why do people think twin discs are hard to drive? with a 2g slave its nicer to drive than my old 2900 setup by far.

Last edited:

belize1334

An unsprung puck will not drive differently from a sprung puck. What it will do is communicate more driveline noise and will also contribute to faster wear of the transmission input shaft splines. The main reason to prefer unsprung is that ACT disks have a habit of popping springs which will cost you some down-time and the cost of a new disk.

donniekak

Not only do the sprung act's pop springs, but i have an unsprung act disk in my garage that stripped the splines off the disk. ACT=garbage

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts