The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Cam Gear Degreeing

I had a motor built and they never degreed the cams/gears. I have BC 280's and BC adj. cam gears. I really don't want to pull the motor to degree them to get the car to idle and motor break in. I know I will need to run it on the dyno to get max performance. I was wondering if anyone knew of an easy way to set them for break in with a descent idle. I was going to buy a degree kit, but the smallest wheel I found was a 9" and don't think it will fit with the motor in the car. Thanks for all input...

boostedinaz

You wont be able to degree them in the car. I would just run it as is until you get to the dyno then start messing with the gears. A vast majority of people never degree their cams and don't have problems.

Garage_Defeat

Yes, you can degree your cams in the car. Done it countless times.

Yes, you should degree your cams even though many do not. I had to degree my FP4r's cams to get the motor to start and idle well.

You can download, print, and laminate a small degree wheel to fit over your harmonic balancer. Cut a hole in the center so that you can still fit a 1/2" drive turn the crank.

Use a dial indicator with long arm tip.

Regards,
-Dan

gtluke

I thought you were supposed to just leave them on 0 and leave them exposed so people know you spent money on them. :shrug:

retard the timing to get more peak HP at higher rpm. advance them to get a broader torque curve.
IIRC, double check me.

boostedinaz

Quoting Garage_Defeat:

You can download, print, and laminate a small degree wheel to fit over your harmonic balancer.

Interesting. I never knew that. Sorry for the goof.

My car won't idle correctly with the cam gears zero'd out. I need to adjust them just to get it to start and idle correctly. Thanks for the help.

boostedinaz

Sound like a tune issue. I know of 2 cars with 280s that once they were figured out idled with stock cam gears.

BoostedAWD91

this might be a dumb question but i never really knew how to degree cams. How exactly do u do it and where can u get the degree wheel for our cars?

H05TYL

Quoting gtluke:
I thought you were supposed to just leave them on 0 and leave them exposed so people know you spent money on them. :shrug:

retard the timing to get more peak HP at higher rpm. advance them to get a broader torque curve.
IIRC, double check me.

actually as our exhaust and inlet cams can be adjusted individually you'll probably find altering the lobe separation angle (LSA) will give better results than advancing or retarding the cams as a pair.

bazeng

Do you at least know your min / max on each cam before they smack the pistons??

You don't want to over adjust and bend a valve.

Quoting BoostedAWD91:
this might be a dumb question but i never really knew how to degree cams. How exactly do u do it and where can u get the degree wheel for our cars?

click

I need to find someone to degree them for me. I live near TurboTrix and a few other known shops. I feel like I'll get ripped off if I let a shop like them do it. Anyone know of a shop or person that can set them to break the motor in until I get to a dyno? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned