The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Shifting question

deez

I know these cars are notorious for bad shifting, but I want to get the issue resolved with it being hard at times to get into reverse. The transmission has been replaced with an upgraded Jacks, and it had the issue on both transmissions. Shifter bushings have been replaced with solid bushings. The shifter has a small amount of slop in the bushings, but not enough to make it an issue IMO. So where do I go from there, replacing the cables?

jepherz

Staff member
Have you adjusted the shift cables? Are you sure the clutch is fully disengaging? I had trouble shifting two times in one of my cars, one time was the cable adjustment, the other I reached up under the dash and my hand was covered in fluid. I'd check those two first!

deez

Well I just messed around with the cable adjustment, granted I didn't really know what I was doing, but it made no difference. Maybe someone could tell me the proper way to adjust the cables. The master is fine, I also ran into a problem with it leaking several years ago.

Whoodoo

I don't think there is a proper way to go about doing it. It shouldn't be too difficult if you take the rubber off of the shift stops in the shifter assembly. Here's how I would do it:

1: remove stops so shifter gives more throw than trans will allow
2: unless trans side of cables are backed way out, leave them alone
3: adjust shifter side cables so the shifter lies right in the middle of its throw when in neutral
4: put stops back on and make sure you can get into all gears without a problem.
5: rinse, repeat

EDIT: If you want better shifting, read my post on making a short shifter. Bushing replacement can only go so far for improving feel. You really need to modify the shifter itself to improve feedback.

Last edited:

jepherz

Staff member
I always just adjust by putting the shifter in neutral, then visually lining the cables so that the actual shift stop is in the middle of the vertical and horizontal bump stops.

If it was an issue with your clutch, you should have difficulty getting in all of the gears I believe.

Last edited:

deez

No, the clutch has no bearing on it. And its the 3rd clutch in the car with the same issue. One thing that helps it get into gear is if I lightly let the clutch out while trying to put it into reverse, then it falls in. Almost like there is a binding of something. But with it doing with with 3 different clutches, and now the 3rd transmission (all different, not the same one rebuilt), I feel those can be ruled out.

GVR-4

You're doing the right thing. The problem is when engaging reverse you are pushing a gear into mesh with two other gears, and usually that gear is worn. The teeth are pointed on the edge where they begin to mesh and when worn down, those points are dull and the gear won't slip into mesh with the other two. Just move the shifter into reverse and hold it there with a little pressure and let the clutch out very slowly until the shifter slips into reverse.

deez

"The problem is when engaging reverse you are pushing a gear into mesh with two other gears, and usually that gear is worn"
Perhaps, but with the original trans, a rebuilt from Jacks, then another from Jacks when that one had an issue?

jepherz

Staff member
I've had this issue on much newer cars too, Hondas even! If this is the only problem you're having, consider yourself lucky!

deez

Well, its the only problem I have from the transmission back /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Hertz

Staff member
Check that the reverse switch is installed correctly? It could be impeding the throw. Check to see if the reverse lights light up at the moment it binds.

Are you sure you have the proper cable brackets? Worn bushings on the cable ends? Slop in the shifter?

deez

There is some slop in the shifter, but its pretty minimal and IMO not enough to cause an issue. As for the reverse switch, educate me on this. How can it be installed wrong? I did not do the install, so I will need to know what to look for. The cable ends seem fine

GVR-4

Quoting Hertz:
Check that the reverse switch is installed correctly? It could be impeding the throw. Check to see if the reverse lights light up at the moment it binds.

Are you sure you have the proper cable brackets? Worn bushings on the cable ends? Slop in the shifter?

Hertz is right. There is an aluminum crush washer under the reverse light switch. If that crush washer is not in place, the switch will impede the 5th/reverse shift rail.

Regarding the worn intermediate gear, you should make sure it was replaced in the rebuild.

deez

I see, I will check for that crush washer. And if its not there, I assume any crush washer will work. that probably could be tested just by unthreading the switch a couple turns and seeing if that takes care of the problem

GVR-4

If it's not there, email me and I will see if I can find an old one and measure the thickness. Then you will know what you need.

Quoting deez:
I see, I will check for that crush washer. And if its not there, I assume any crush washer will work. that probably could be tested just by unthreading the switch a couple turns and seeing if that takes care of the problem

Too thick a washer and the switch won't engage the reverse lights.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned