The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

has some one installed these?

MellowVR4

Has anybody installed these spacers that extremepsi sell for the driveshaft support bearing. they look nothing like OEM, each spacer is thicker then the other one, theres 5 for each side of the carrier bearing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif i need help i dont wanna install these wrong. heres some pics.

jepherz

Staff member
They look exactly like the OEM ones, except they look to be made from aluminum. You're not supposed to use ALL of them, it's basically a grab bag of different sizes that you put in the high spots to make them lower. It's likely that you will have to double up on a few or buy a few of the kits to get it balanced right.

MellowVR4

how would i kno if i balanced the driveshaft correctly. because i got 4 sets of these spacers because i need 2 sets for each bearing.

curtis

Its not for balance but for pinion angle. If you have an ipod touch or an Iphone you can get an app that has a level gauge that reads to 2 decimal points of a degree if not go to harbor freight sears etc and get a angle finder that has a 360 degree sweep. The one pictured below I've had for almost 20 years and in my opinion is more baller than the OLOA VR4 team Iphone design. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dasco Pro angle finder

MellowVR4

and im guessing that once i buy that tool it should come with instructions. on how to use it

Whoodoo

Quote:
and im guessing that once i buy that tool it should come with instructions. on how to use it

Place it on surface in question. Needle is weighted and will point to whatever angle said surface sits at. (insert facepalm here)

H05TYL

Quoting MellowVR4:

who on earth reads instructions?

jepherz

Staff member
Quoting jepherz:
They look exactly like the OEM ones, except they look to be made from aluminum. You're not supposed to use ALL of them, it's basically a grab bag of different sizes that you put in the high spots to make them lower. It's likely that you will have to double up on a few or buy a few of the kits to get it balanced right.

Yeah, I wasn't thinking. I guess "balanced" wasn't the right word.

MellowVR4

ok i got the angle finder tool, whats the pinion angle suppost to be?

jepherz

Staff member
You're just trying to shoot for keeping the 3 sections of the driveshaft all on the same plane, so that under normal circumstances each joint isn't actually at any angle.

Like This:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Last edited:

Whoodoo

Quoting jepherz:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

You're exactly right. Its all about angular velocity.

Oh I forgot... If you don't want to spend too much money on shims, you can use stainless washers, which you can find at any hardware store for cheap.

Last edited:

boosted_85

Make sure that your doing your measurements on a level surface. Doesn't have to be complete 100% level but close. I usually put my car on a alignment rack that way it will be easier to read the gauge and easier to install the shims.

Last edited:

4thStroke

Even if the surface isnt 100% level, he should be ok, since they will all be at the same angle relative to eachother.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned