The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Fuel Pump Voltage

Hey guys I have a problem with my aus spec vr4 which is causing my car not to start. It appears that the fuel pump is not receiving enough voltage and when tested with the multi-meter it was only receiving about 6 volts. To check that this was the problem we supplied power directly from the battery to the fuel pump and then successfully started it. The annoying thing is that it is an intermittant problem as sometimes it will start fine, other times it might start breifly then cut out or other times it wont start at all. I have tried the fuel pump rewire that is on vfaq but to no avail. Would the relay still need a strong enough signal from the car for it to function properly? I have also tried replacing the ECU.
Sorry im not overally good with cars but any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Terry Posten

You may have an issue with the MPI relay. It may have become resistive.

Can you swap another one if to see if that fixes the issue?

I had a similar issue a while back and I had some guy come out and fix it...$600 later he told me it was the relay and it seems the way that he fixed was by splicing in an aftermarket relay into the existing wires however, the old relay is also still in there. This worked for over a year and you can feel the relay click on however I still tried replacing the aftermarket relay with another one just to be sure. Can anyone tell me where the power to the fuel pump is supplied from?

Terry Posten

You could just fix it ugly by finding a power source that is switched with the ignition to power a new relay and that relay can provide straight power from the battery to the pump.

Last edited:

The power is supplied through the ignition switch to the MFI relay. Have you checked the voltage at the fuelpump test terminal under the hood while you have the low voltage?

Car is running again now but i dont have a lot of confidence in it so when it dies next I will check it out.
Cheers

Quoting keydiver:
fuelpump test terminal

Everytime I go looking for that thing I can never find it.

There are lots of posts on it, with pictures, if you search. Its just a single female spade terminal with a heavy black plastic insulator on it, right by the VIN plate on the firewall.

dsmless

i had the same problem on my car, what i did is just run a wire from my fuse box with a 15 amp fuse inline to the fuel pump relay ( I have the rewire kit also) and pluged it into the middle terminal on the relay, this way whenever the ignition is on the pump is on, its easy and cheap, and can still use the turdo timer

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Recent Forum Posts