The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

Let's talk AUTO conversion and necessary parts!

It seems that the auto turbo trans will hold a good ammount of power/tourqe so I'm seriously thinking about to do a MAN -> AUTO conversion! To do and succeed with a conversion like this I need to know what parts is needed to do this.

Here is a list of things that I THINK is needed:

Auto Trans (of course)
transfer case
Auto wire from shifter assembly to trans
Trans cooler
Temp gauge for trans
ECU unit for the trans
Shifter assembly click for pic
Pedal assembly
Rear driving gear (3.307)
Auto speedo click for pic (will convert it with the VR-4 speedo)

So, am I forgetting something? Do I need the front driveshafts (those parts that goes in the trans) from an auto? What about the engine mounts, do I need the engine mounts from an auto and if so, which ones do I need?

I somehow think that I will have some trubble wiring up the TCU. I found this site click for wiring info that might help me some, or what do you think?

So, is there any upgrades out there for the auto trans that is recommended? My car won't be modded to death but I still want it to be a trans that I can trust on and I want to be able to DD it if necessary.

gtluke

and a vagina to complete your sex change.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/uhh.gif

Anyway, before I decide to do anything on this I will have to know every part thats needed and the cost of everything. Not that I expekt you to tell me the cost of every part needed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Thanks for that link. I will go through every piece of information there is available on this and then decide what to do.

NateCrisman

The real trick is the converter, that's the key to making it run well. I'm not sure what your goals for the car are when it comes to launching/dragstrip, but getting the converter correctly matched to the powerband of the car is the most important thing. That is unless your going to run nitrous, in which case you can spray the car up to the stall you need to leave well.

One thing that is nice about going to an auto is that the parts are CHEAP. The last car I converted to auto awd, I was able to get a complete set of drivetrain parts off someone that was doing the opposite swap for damn near free. The stock trans seems to hold up well under everything but extreme power (say 450-550whp).

Thanks for that info! I will think this over again before I put my hand on this conversion. I sounds like alot of work to get this to work properly. My VR-4 won't se alot of hard launching och dragstrip at all so I will most likely ask my self if it is worth all the work and money (there weren't any 4WD turbos sold here in Sweden så the trans will get somewhat hard and expensive to get) to get this done on a car that mostly will se crousing in the city and higher speed on the highway.

Maybe it's more beneficial for me to try to get some longer gears than my RS trans has /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

curtis

So thats what the 3.307 gear is from. I have one in the shop.

3rdstrikedsm

You could try the jdm evo 1-3 trans and final drives which is nice but nothing quite like a fast auto trans awd mitsu, Key word being FAST and properly set up.

Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned