The Top Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 Resource

Join the best E39A 1991-1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4 community and document your GVR4 journey.

• Software Upgraded - Reset Your Password to Login
    In order to log in after the forum software change, you need to reset your password. If you don't have access to the email address you used to register your GVR4.org account, you won't be able to reset your password. In that case, follow the instructions here to regain access to the forum.

vacuum.

Brunoboy

I know I have an idle surge, my rpms go between 800-1100 every so often, so far i have clamped everything down tightly , and i should do a BLT asap, but right now I have no compressor to pump air. Timing is on the dot, But I realized I am running dummy rich. I have Evo 560, 2g maf, Jons fmic kit, DSM Gt Highflow, Evo IX Pump, B16g running 12lbs. and a 2g dsm hard intake pipe,2g o2 housing, 2.5-3" straight pipe. CAS was put in as told, but had to adjust a bit to get it to run right. vacuum at 800 rpm is 10-12, 1100 rpm is 14-15HG, Idk. All my lines are hooked up as well.
-shane

Muskrat

Quote:
vacuum at 800 rpm is 10-12

Well there's your problem, and you already know it. Solve this before trying to get more advice.

Brunoboy

yha ok, well also the car SOUNDS like it has cams but it doesnt, its just a JDM 6bolt....(atleast I think its the same as the usdm right?). and Easiest way to find a vacuum leak? any advice?
-shane

4thStroke

Since a BLT is out of the question right now, start it up and spray carb cleaner in the bay wherever a gasket may have blown out, where the vacuum lines connect, around the TB, etc. If the idle changes when you spray a certain area, you have found your leak.

Good luck.

Brunoboy

i just replaced all Gaskets and seals on this motor. and I tried doing this trick the other day, but the idle doesnt change anywhere.
-shane

Muskrat

Quote:
Since a BLT is out of the question right now

It's not. There's plenty of ways to do it without owning a compressor:

1) Take it to a shop that has air and ask to use it. Chances are one shop you go to will be nice enough to let you.

2) Go to a gas station w/ free air, or hell, pay the $1 or whatever it is now-a-day.

3) Find a friend of co-worker who has a compressor.

That's three options, just off the top of my head.

Brunoboy

so bring the blt with me to a gas station? then take off my intake there,and put it back on after? lol I guess.
-shane

Brunoboy

yha ill do it tonight

1947 was acting similar shortly after I bought her. Performed all leakage test's, still no sign of leaks or improovement's. After a couple days of scratching our heads, we noticed that the damn idle screw on the intake was missing completely. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Still haven't figured out where it went.
Anyway, replaced the screw, used" vfaq" to set it, plugged it, and viola! Idle surge fixed.
Maybee you'll get lucky like I did and it be that easy. Good luck

Brunoboy

I can unscrew the bias screw all the way out but I can't seem to pull it out, anyone know a way to do this?

How are you compensating for the 560's at idle? Do you have a logger to look at the fueltrims?

Brunoboy

I was told that the 2g maf somewhat counters it, at first I thought I might be flooding and that's why it's being funky, I do have a logger and a safc hooked up, please tell me what I'm looking for. Thanks
-Shane

At idle the 2G MAS puts out almost the same Hz signal as a 1G, but your EVO injectors are flowing 30% more fuel than the stockers, so you will be VERY rich at idle. Don't believe what everyone on Tuners tells you.
For years many guys have gotten away with 550's and a 2G MAS, but its just not the same thing with the EVO 560's. Not only do they flow quite a bit more than 550's, typically 585cc or more, but they have LESS deadtime than the factory injectors, which means they inject >30% more fuel at idle. Most 550cc injectors have 180uS more deadtime than stock injectors, which means they flow less fuel at idle than the EVO's.
You could try removing the lower honeycomb, which should help lean out the idle quite a bit. But, the *right* thing to do is get a chip that matches your MAS and injectors, because the other thing the 2G MAS is doing is throwing you way off the timing maps. The 1G maps are already very aggressive, so more timing just means more knock issues.

Brunoboy

I bought that chip from one BluFalcon in the FS section. He said it was one of your chips, that he got from someone else on the board, he said it was for a 2g maf, and Evo injectors. "Shane,
I bought this a few years back from another member on the board from his GVR-4.

Here's the info I got from Keydiver about the chip off his message board:

8500 main rev limiter
6500 NLTS
Selectable Stutterbox
Knocksum gauge
EVO 560cc injectors
stock 2G MAS
2X Karman to log double Hz

Since it's a stage 3 chip, it'll have all the stuff that he usually adds to his chips like, octane reset, fuel cut removal and the usual stuff from stages 1-2. More info about what's included in each stage can be found on his site: www.dsmchips.com " thats what he said, so im waiting for it to come in, i think it should be here tmrw. Thanks , If anything I will contact you asap.
-shane

Brunoboy

correct, i havent received it yet, hopefully today.
-shane

Brunoboy

this is the one I have now installed into my ecu

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the GVR-4 Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned